Cheesecake Ice Cream! Everyone loves cheesecake and everyone loves ice cream, so of course everyone will love Cheesecake Ice Cream. This super easy recipe tastes like a frozen New York Cheesecake!
Homemade ice cream is a real treat and so much fun. Visit my Vanilla Ice Cream post to learn all about the basics of ice cream making and a little science behind the ingredients.
- Milk – Milk and cream balance out for the right amount of water and fat in the ice cream.
- Heavy cream – The cream adds extra fat to the ice cream for a rich texture.
- Vanilla bean – You can use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract in place of the bean.
- Egg yolks – Yolks add richness to the ice cream and keeps the ice cream from melting very fast.
- Granulated sugar – For sweetness and to prevent the ice cream from freezing too hard.
- Lemon – A little zest and juice amplifies the cream cheese flavor for a real “cheesecake” taste.
- Salt – For flavor
- Cream cheese – To bring the cheesecake flavor to the ice cream.
How to make Cheesecake Ice Cream:
- Scald the milk and cream with the vanilla bean.
- Whisk together the yolks and sugar.
- Add the yolks to the scalded milk and return to the heat.
- Cook until the custard is “nappe” (coats the back of the spatula).
- Toss the softened cream cheese into the warm custard and mix until it’s melted.
- Chill until the custard is very cold.
- Run according to the directions for your ice cream maker then freeze until firm.
I love cheesecake and fruit together so I topped the ice cream with Cherry &Blueberry Compote. It would also be delicious with Cajeta, Blueberry Preserves, Cherry Preserves or Port Wine Hot Fudge Sauce.
Need more homemade ice cream ideas?
- Buttermilk Ice Cream
- Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
- Malted Milk Ice Cream or
- Double Malted Chocolate Ice Cream.
- Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream
- Peach Ice Cream
- Strawberry Ice Cream.
- Homemade Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Carrot Cake Ice Cream
- Chai Tea Ice Cream.
Now that you’ve made this recipe what should you do with all the extra egg whites? Check out this collection of recipes that use extra whites for some great ideas.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider leaving a 5-star review.
Cheesecake Ice Cream Recipe
- 8 ounces whole milk (1 cup)
- 4 ounces heavy cream (½ cup)
- ½ vanilla bean
- 5 egg yolks
- 6 ounces granulated sugar (¾ cup)
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon table salt
- 12 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- Combine the milk and cream in a medium sauce pan. Scrape the vanilla beans out of the pod and add them to the milk, toss the pod into the pan as well. Heat the milk mixture over medium high heat until scalding hot.8 ounces whole milk, 4 ounces heavy cream, ½ vanilla bean
- While the milk heats up, whisk together the yolks, sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl.5 egg yolks, 6 ounces granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Once the milk mixture is scalding hot pour it into the bowl with the yolks and whisk to combine. Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook the custard until it coats the back of a spatula or wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and strain into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and salt. Cut the cream cheese into 5 or 6 lumps and toss them into the warm custard. Gently whisk until the cream cheese is melted into the base. Cover the bowl and cool until very cold. At least 4-5 hours or over night.½ teaspoon lemon juice, ⅛ teaspoon table salt, 12 ounces cream cheese
- Freeze according to the directions for your ice cream machine. Scoop into a quart container, place a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ice cream, cover tightly and freeze until firm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thursday 5th of November 2020
may i know how long this can last? its good for how many days?
Thursday 5th of November 2020
Since it's frozen it will last indefinitely.