Silky smooth & buttery, Butterscotch Sauce has a special and specific flavor. Sure, I like salted caramel as much as the next guy, but let’s try Butterscotch Sauce for a change.
How is Butterscotch different than caramel?
Caramel sauce is made by melting and caramelizing white sugar, then adding a liquid to that caramelized sugar to turn it into a sauce.
Butterscotch sauce starts by melting brown sugar and butter together and then adding a liquid. Brown sugar has molasses in it, which is not the same thing as caramel. So butterscotch has notes of butter, molasses, vanilla and salt.
How-to make Butterscotch Sauce
Step 1: When you add the brown sugar to the melted butter, the mixture will look like wet sand. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
Step 2: The butter and sugar mixture will begin liquify. Then you’re ready to add the cream.
Step 3: Whisk the cream into the sugar & butter mixture. Whisk in the liquor and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes. Whisk occasionally.
Step 4: The sauce will bubble up while cooking.
Step 5: The sauce will become more viscous as it cooks. The final sauce should be silky smooth and not at all gritty.
You might also enjoy Mexican Cajeta or Hot Fudge Sauce on your ice cream.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider giving it 5 stars.
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- 8 oz dark brown sugar (1 cup)
- 4 oz heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz butterscotch schnapps (1/4 cup (see note))
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt (seen note))
- Melt butter over medium low heat. (see note). Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar looks like wet sand. Cook on medium low, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. The mixture will begin to liquify.8 oz dark brown sugar, 2 oz unsalted butter
- Whisk in the cream, then whisk in the schnapps. BE CAREFUL, the mixture will bubble up and steam when the liquids are added, Keep your face away from the pot.4 oz heavy cream, 2 oz butterscotch schnapps
- Cook over low heat for for about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally until the butterscotch becomes more viscous, very smooth and silky. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and salt.2 teaspoons real vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pour into a heat proof container to cool. I like to use canning jars to store the butterscotch sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wednesday 23rd of June 2021
Oh this is so good!
Wednesday 24th of May 2017
OH! I've never made butterscotch sauce before--what a great idea. Gorgeous photos too. Thanks for linking up to the Friday Frenzy!
Sunday 21st of May 2017
Its been ages since I've had anything with butterscotch in it. I love butterscotch ice cream. Thanks for sharing a step by step process of making butterscotch sauce.
Sunday 7th of May 2017
Simple and delicious. I would eat this straight from the jar until I'm sick lol. I actually like butterscotch sauce more than caramel and I bet salted butterscotch would be tasty too!
Tuesday 9th of May 2017
I did eat it straight from the jar and it was goooood.
Kylee from Kylee Cooks
Monday 1st of May 2017
Wow - I totally want to eat this with a spoon. Or just pour it in a glass, and I'll drink it. I do love me some butterscotch.