Peach Dumplings are easy to make from scratch. Wrap fresh peach halves in flaky dough then bake them in a simple brown sugar syrup for built-in sauce. Serve these beauties with a scoop of ice cream for a wonderful summer treat.
Like tomatoes, peaches really are only worth eating when they’re in season. I eat as many as I can while the gettin’ is good. I have to indulge enough to carry me through to next summer!
I mostly prefer them as they are, in all their fuzzy, juicy glory. But hey, why not create a truly summery treat while peaches are bountiful?
These dumplings are a bit indulgent with the thick syrupy brown sugar sauce. The only thing you need to gild the lily is a scoop of homemade ice cream.
I served the dumplings with Homemade Bourbon Ice Cream. But they’d be great with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Buttermilk Ice Cream or Brown Sugar Ice Cream.
- Peaches – Use ripe but firm peaches. The peaches will soften as they bake, but you do want them to be nice and ripe for the best flavor.
- Cream cheese dough – This dough is very tender and easy to work with. It bakes up nice and crisp.
- Light brown sugar – Brown sugar makes a tasty syrup for baking the peaches.
- Bourbon or rum – The alcohol is optional, but alcohol enhances other flavors.
How to make Peach Dumplings from scratch:
See the recipe card for exact ingredient measurements and detailed instructions.
- Sprinkle the peeled and pitted peach halves with cinnamon sugar.
- Cut the dough into eight 6″ squares.
- Put a peach half on each square. Fill the peaches with brown sugar and butter.
- Fold two corners of the dough over the peach.
- Fold the other two corners over to form a dumpling. Pinch the seams closed.
- Pour the brown sugar syrup between the dumplings.
Bake until the dumplings are golden brown and the syrup is bubbling.
Pastry Chef Tips for making Peach Dumplings
- You can make the dough several days ahead and refrigerate it or freeze it for up to a month.
- The dough can be rolled and cut ahead of time. Wrap the squares with wax or parchment paper between them to prevent sticking. The squares can be refrigerated for several days or frozen for up to a month. Defrost in the wrapper before separating the squares.
- The brown sugar syrup can be prepared 1-2 days ahead of time and refrigerated. Reheat the syrup before pouring over the dumplings.
- It’s best to prepare the peaches just before assembling. If you peel and pit the peaches too far ahead you’ll lose a lot of the juice.
- The dumplings are best eaten when they’re still warm from the oven. Leftovers can be refrigerated then reheated (with the syrup) in the oven.
More recipes like this
- Peach Cobbler
- Sour Cherry Cobbler
- Strawberry Crumble
- Apple Cobbler
- Blueberry Cornbread Cobbler
- Savory Tomato Cobbler
- Chili Cornbread Cobbler
More Peach Recipes
- Peach Crumb Pie
- Peach Shortcakes
- Peach Coffee Cake
- Peach Melba Cake
- Fried Peach Hand Pies
- Homemade Peach Ice Cream
- Peach Almond Upside Down Cake
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Peach Dumpling Recipe
- 2 oz granulated sugar (¼ cup, divided)
- ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 peaches (peeled and halved)
- 1 recipe cream cheese dough
- 1 large egg (for egg wash)
- 12 oz light brown sugar (2 cups (see note))
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 6 oz water (¾ cup)
- 1 Tablespoon rum or bourbon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl. Line the peach halves, cut side down in a 13"x 9" baking pan. Sprinkle them with the cinnamon sugar. Flip them over and sprinkle the other side.2 oz granulated sugar, ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, 4 peaches
- Roll the dough to a 24"x12" rectangle. Cut the dough into eight 6" squares. Brush the edges of each dough square with egg wash. Set a peach half, cut side up, in the middle of each dough square. Put a 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of butter into each peach cavity. Lift two corners of a dough square to enclose the peach half, then lift the other two corners to form a dumpling. Pinch the edges to glue them closed. Repeat with the other peaches.1 recipe cream cheese dough, 12 oz light brown sugar, 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, 1 large egg
- Line the dumplings into the 13"x9" pan. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining granulated sugar.
- Combine the rest of the light brown sugar and the water in a small sauce pan. Bring the syrup to a full boil. Remove from the heat and add the optional liquor. Pour the syrup between the dumplings making sure not to get the syrup on the tops of the dumplings.12 oz light brown sugar, 6 oz water, 1 Tablespoon rum or bourbon
- Bake until the dumplings are well browned, about 40 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Serve each dumping with a drizzle of sauce and some whipped cream or ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sunday 14th of August 2022
I just love all your recipes, and your wonderful cookbook~
Sunday 14th of August 2022
Friday 12th of August 2022
um... is there a typo? Or have I missed what to do with those two extra peaches? (I don't mind eating them, of course!)
Thank you again for a wonderful seasonal recipe idea!
Saturday 13th of August 2022
Oops, thanks for pointing that out. Forgot to change the number of peaches after adjusting the recipe. It's been fixed.