Peach Upside Down Cake is the perfect summer dessert. This treat is made with ripe summer peaches, caramel topping and melt-in-your-mouth almond buttermilk cake.
Have I told you about my love affair with summer peaches? Seriously, the other day I was eating a peach after lunch and randomly said to my son “I’m so glad there are summer peaches in the world”. He looked at me like I was a little crazy and just shook his head.
What can I say? Our fruit share is one of the simple joys of my life. From August until November I open that bag of fruit each week like a kid on Christmas morning. When the peaches start rolling in, I get absolutely giddy.
When peaches are in season you’ve got to eat as many peaches as you can, in as many ways as you can think of.
Peaches and almonds are a natural pairing:
Peaches have an affinity with almonds since the middle of the peach pit has that bitter almond flavor. I added almond meal to the cake for tenderness and almond extract for flavor.
You can use slightly under ripe peaches for this recipe or you could even use frozen peaches. If you use frozen peaches with sugar added you might want to adjust the amount of sugar in the topping.
Click through the step by step process photos to see how to make a Peach Upside Down Cake:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider giving it 5 stars.
- 1/2 stick (2 oz, 56g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed (4 oz, 112g) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 slices each
- 1 lage egg plus 2 yolks
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon real almond extract
- 1.5 cups (7 oz, 196g) cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (8 oz, 224g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (2 oz, 55g) almond flour or ground almonds
- 1 stick (4 oz, 112g) butter, room temperature, cut into 1" pieces
- Toss the sliced peaches with the brown sugar and the almond extract. Allow to macerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Line the bottom of an 8" square or 9" rounds pan with parchment paper or butter and flour the pan.
- Drain the peaches and set aside. Combine the peach juice with the butter in a small saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute to thicken. Pour the warm caramel into the prepared pan. Arrange the peach slices onto the caramel. Place the pan in the freezer while preparing the batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the egg, yolks, 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and almond extract in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and almond flour. Run the mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to combine the dry ingredients.
- With the mixer running on low, toss the pieces of butter into the dry ingredients. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of buttermilk and turn the mixer to medium high. Mix for 2-3 minutes until the batter lightens in color and becomes aerated.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape the bowl and the beater. With the mixer running on low, add the egg mixture in two batches, scraping between addition. Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the batter over the peaches, being careful not to disturb the caramel and peaches.
- Bake until the center of the cake springs back lightly when pressed, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Unmold the cake while it's still a little warm by running a paring knife around the sides of the cake and inverting onto a serving platter. If any caramel or peaches stick in the pan scrape them out with a small spatula and replace on the cake while still warm.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Fat Daddio's Anodized Aluminum Round Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 3-Inch
Calphalon (BW3208) Classic Bakeware 8-Inch Square Nonstick Cake Pan
Reynolds Kitchens Cookie Baking Parchment Paper Sheets (SmartGrid, Non-Stick, 22 Sheets)
SACO Pantry Cultured Buttermilk Blend, for Cooking and Baking, Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, 12oz, Pack of 2
Ateco Professional Offset Spatula Set
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might also like: