Raspberry Ice cream is a delicious and creamy homemade treat flavored with fresh or frozen raspberries. Pure raspberry puree makes an ice cream with a distinctive berry flavor.
How do you keep fruit from being icy in homemade ice cream?
The first step in making a great fruit-flavored ice cream is to consider the amount of water in the fruit. Too much water not only dilutes the flavor, excess water creates an icy, crystalized texture.
When you’re making ice cream with very watery fruit, like strawberries, you need to find a way to reduce the amount of water in the fruit to produce a creamy ice cream.
Unlike strawberries, fresh raspberries don’t have an excessive amount of water. Unlike, say, apples, raspberries are soft enough to use without cooking.
So we can go ahead and use straight up raspberry puree without cooking or drying the berries. It’s a matter of simply replacing the milk in the ice cream recipe with pure raspberry puree.
This recipe makes a beautifully creamy ice cream with true raspberry flavor.
- Raspberries – Fresh or frozen raspberries work equally well for this recipe.
- Limoncello – A little alcohol helps your ice cream retain a creamy texture and prevents it from freezing rock-hard. The lemon flavor also sparks the flavor of the berries. You can use 2 tablespoons of vodka plus 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in place of the limoncello. You can skip the alcohol altogether, but the ice cream will freeze slightly firmer.
- Egg Yolks – Homemade ice cream made with egg yolks has a luscious custardy texture and it melts more slowly than ice cream made without eggs or yolks.
How to make homemade Raspberry Ice Cream
- Start with fresh or frozen raspberries.
- Puree the raspberries in a food processor or blender.
- Strain the puree to remove the seeds.
- Discard the seeds.
- Add the limoncello to the puree.
- Refrigerate the puree while you make the custard.
- Heat the cream over medium heat.
- Combine the yolks and sugar.
- Whisk the scalding cream into the egg yolks.
- Pour the custard back into the saucepan.
- Over low heat, cook the custard until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spatula or spoon.
- Add the chilled puree to the warm custard.
- Chill the ice cream base until it’s quite cold.
- Run the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer container. Place a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent icicles from forming on the surface.
- Freeze until solid.
More unique homemade ice cream recipes:
- Carrot Cake Ice Cream
- Rhubarb Ice Cream
- Malted Milk Ice Cream
- Bourbon Ice Cream
- Chai Tea Ice Cream
- Lavender Honey Ice Cream
- White Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Truffles
- Brown Sugar Ice Cream
More Raspberry Recipes
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Raspberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 12 oz raspberries (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
- 2 tablespoons limoncello (see note)
- 16 oz heavy cream (2 cups)
- 5 egg yolks
- 8 oz granulated sugar (1 cup)
- In a food processor, puree the raspberries until smooth. Strain the puree through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Add the limoncello to the puree and refrigerate it while you make the ice cream base.12 oz raspberries
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium high heat until scalding hot.16 oz heavy cream
- While the cream heats up, whisk together the yolks and sugar in a small bowl.5 egg yolks, 8 oz granulated sugar
- Once the cream mixture is scalding hot, pour it into the bowl with the yolks and whisk to combine
- Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Cook the custard until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spatula or wooden spoon. Do not allow it to come to a full boil. Remove from the heat and pour back into the bowl from the yolks. Add the cold raspberry puree to the custard and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl and chill until very cold. At least 4-5 hours or over night.
- Freeze according to the directions for your ice cream machine.
- When the ice cream is ready, scoop it into a container and smooth to an even layer. Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ice cream, cover tightly and freeze until firm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.