Classic Blondies with a crackly crust are made in one bowl, without a mixer. Rich, butterscotch-y and deeply satisfying, these blondies are comfort food at it’s finest.
A blondie is not just a brownie without the chocolate. A classic blondie has deep butterscotch flavor and an ooey, gooey crumb.
What is butterscotch flavor? It is a special and specific flavor with notes of butter, molasses, vanilla and salt. The molasses flavor comes from the brown sugar in the batter.
One other essential characteristic of a good blondie is the crackly top. There is a special technique that will help create that lovely crackly crust.
Scroll through the photos to see how to make Classic Blondies with a crackly crust:
Tips for making and storing Classic Blondies:
- The recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9″x 13″ pan.
- Butter the pan and line with parchment paper. This not only prevents sticking, it makes it much easier to lift the blondies out of the pan.
- Stirring the batter vigorously after adding the eggs will incorporate air into the batter. This will help form a crackly crust on the top of the blondies as the bubbles rise to the surface in the oven. If you prefer a soft top you can skip that step.
- Cool the blondies in the pan then use the parchment to transfer them to a cutting board.
- If you like to frost your blondies, you can use American Buttercream, White Chocolate Ganache, Ermine Frosting or Cream Cheese Frosting.
- The Blondies will keep at room temperature for several days.
- Iced or un-iced blondies can be frozen. If they are iced, layer them with parchment paper or plastic wrap to prevent them from sticking together. They are delicious straight from the freezer.
You might also like these other blondie recipes, Sourdough Blondies, Butterscotch Ripple Blondies and Malted Milk Blondies
For you chocoholics I’ve got recipes for the blondies’ cousin: Fudgy Brownies, Sourdough Brownies, Habanero Brownies, Chocolate Cherry Brownies, Malted Milk Brownies, Roasted Beet Brownies, and White Chocolate Raspberry Brownies.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Classic Blondies are super easy to make and extremely satisfying.
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz, 168g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz, 336g) brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 oz, 210g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 8" or 9" square baking pan and line with parchment paper. You can just butter the pan but the parchment makes it much easier to remove the blondies from the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter with the brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix to combine then stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and salt. Spread the batter into the pan.
- Bake until the center springs back when lightly pressed, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few wet crumbs, about 25 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature before removing from the pan and cutting into 16 squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Saturday 2nd of May 2020
The directions say to mix granulated and brown sugar, the recipe only calls for brown sugar. Is there supposed to be granulated sugar in it too?
Saturday 2nd of May 2020
It's been fixed. Thanks!