Margarita Pie!! A crunchy graham cracker crust is filled with tequila-spiked lime custard! Key Lime Pie meets your favorite classic margarita.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m not that big on mixed drinks, I’m definitely more of a wine drinker. When I do have a cocktail, it’s almost always a classic Margarita. I love the flavor of tequila and prefer a simple Margarita made with good tequila, fresh lime juice and a little orange liqueur.
Any time we have a family party, surprise surprise, I bring dessert. Most of the time I just bring whatever I’m in the mood to make. For my nephew’s graduation party my sister asked me to make a Key Lime Pie since that’s one of his favorites.
I love anything lime so was happy to make the pie, and figured I’d do something interesting with the recipe so I could post it on the blog.
I immediately thought that the only thing better than a creamy key lime pie, would be a key lime pie flavored like a classic Margarita. The trick was to add enough of the liqueur so the pie tasted like the drink, but not so much that it no longer tasted like a key lime pie.
So, here it is, my Margarita Pie! The flavors were exactly as I wanted on the very first try. If you don’t do alcohol simply eliminate the liqueur for a more classic version of Key Lime Pie.
Watch the recipe video to see how to make Margarita Pie.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 oz (6 tablespoons, 85g) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 14 crackers)
- 2 oz (1/4 cup, 56g) granulated sugar
- 2- 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (8 oz, 250ml) fresh lime juice (about 6-8 limes)
- Zest from 2 limes
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
- 1 1/5 cups (12 oz, 350ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Graham Cracker Crust
- Combine crumbs and sugar
- Sprinkled melted butter over the crumbs and toss to combine
- Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a pie plate
- Bake at 325°F convection or 350°F regular until golden brown, about 10 minutes
- Mix together the yolks, condensed milk and lime zest.
- Whisk in the lime juice, tequila and triple sec
- Pour the filling into the crust
- Bake until the filling is just set, about 25 minutes
- Cool completely then refrigerate several hours or overnight
- Whip the cream to full peak with the sugar and vanilla
- Pipe or spread the cream onto the filling,
- Refrigerate until serving
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 174mg Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 23g Protein: 3g
You might also like: