Margarita Pie!! A crunchy graham cracker crust is filled with tequila-spiked lime custard! Key Lime Pie meets your favorite cocktail. Leave out the liquor for a classic Key Lime Pie.
I’ve mentioned before that I’m not that big on mixed drinks, I’m definitely more of a wine drinker. When I do have a cocktail, it’s almost always a classic Margarita. I love the flavor of tequila and prefer a simple Margarita made with good tequila, fresh lime juice and a little orange liqueur.
For my nephew’s graduation party my sister asked me to make a Key Lime Pie since that’s one of his favorites.
I love anything lime so was happy to make the pie, and figured I’d do something interesting with the recipe so I could post it on the blog.
How to get the right balance for a Margarita Pie.
- I immediately thought that the only thing better than a creamy key lime pie, would be a key lime pie flavored like a classic Margarita.
- The trick was to add enough of the liqueur so the pie tasted like the drink, but not so much that it no longer tasted like a key lime pie.
- If you don’t do alcohol simply eliminate the liqueur for a more classic version of Key Lime Pie.
So, here it is, my Margarita Pie! The flavors were exactly as I wanted on the very first try.
Watch the recipe video to see how to make Margarita Pie.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider leaving a 5-star review.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 oz (6 tablespoons, 85g) butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 14 crackers)
- 2 oz (1/4 cup, 56g) granulated sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2- 14 ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- Zest from 2 limes
- 1 cup (8 oz, 250ml) fresh lime juice (about 6-8 limes)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120 ml) tequila (see note)
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz, 28g) Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
- 1 1/5 cups (12 oz, 360ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (1 oz, 28g) confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle the melted butter over the crumbs and toss to combine. Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9" pie plate. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Make the filling while the crust bakes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yolks, condensed milk and lime zest. Whisk in the lime juice, tequila and triple sec. Pour the filling into the baked crust.
- Return the pie to the oven and bake until the filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Whip the cream to full peak with the sugar and vanilla. Pipe or spread the cream onto the filling.
- Refrigerate until serving, serve chilled.
To make an alcohol-free pie leave out the tequila and replace the triple sec with orange juice.
Pyrex Easy Grab 9.5" Glass Pie Plate (Pack of 3)
Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater, Black
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
Ateco Professional Offset Spatula Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might also like: