Real Butterscotch Pudding is pure comfort food. Add a hint of bourbon for a grown-up version of this childhood classic, or keep it alcohol-free for a kid-friendly dessert. Either way, it’s a delicious finale for your family dinner.
Today the #SundaySupper group wants to help you create memories by offering our favorite recipes for a Sunday Supper menu.
We all know that family life can be hectic, whatever form your family takes! When our kids were growing up, weeknights and Saturdays were busy with games, concerts and, eventually, jobs.
I will say that we did (mostly) sit down together for dinner together every night. But weeknight dinners were simple and fast and there was no lingering at the table. Being a pastry chef, I always worked late on Fridays and all day on Saturday, so Friday night dinners were often take-out pizza, and my husband usually cooked on Saturdays.
Sunday was the one evening we were all home to enjoy a leisurely dinner. Sunday was also the one day I had the time to enjoy planning and preparing a special meal.
Eventually our daughter went away to college, but our son was still home for Sunday dinner. It was a little quieter, but still nice to have the time together.
I’ll admit that the first Sunday after he left for college I was at a loss. I didn’t know how to adjust to Sunday dinner with just the two of us. Luckily, we have some very nice friends who answered my plea for Sunday supper company. They helped fill the void for me that first weekend after both kids were gone. I am forever grateful!
Here’s a photo I posted on social media that night lamenting the loss of our family time, but appreciating our friends for stepping into the void.
It took me quite some time to learn that I didn’t need an entire box of pasta or several pounds of potatoes for just us two. Eventually we adjusted, and we still managed to enjoy Sunday dinner together occasionally, even with our daughter living in Brazil and our son in Rhode Island. What you see going on in this photo really happened, more than once. Here’s our 21st century version of Sunday Supper; Sunday Supper via Skype!
I offer you my recipe for homemade Butterscotch Pudding, hoping it will help you create precious #SundaySupper memories with your family.
You might also like:
Check out these other fabulous Sunday Supper recipes from my #SundaySupper friends!
Sunday Supper Recipes
Super Sunday Entrees
- Beef-Barley Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Braised Lamb Shanks by Caroline’s Cooking
- Breakfast Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Zucchini Pasta by April Golightly
- Creamy Lemon Pepper Chicken Spaghetti by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Dutch Oven Braised Beef Pot Roast by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Ground Beef Stroganoff Skillet Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Instant Pot Pork & Peppers Stew by My Life Cookbook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- One Pot Taco Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Pan-Fried Scallops with Vegetables by Our Good Life
- Panko and Parmesan Crusted Pork Chops by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pork Fingers by The Freshman Cook
- Shepherd’s Pie Potato Skins by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan by Hardly A Goddess
- Slow Cooker Irish Lamb Stew by Cooking Chat
- Spicy Shrimp Soup by Pies and Plots
- Turkey Fennel Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweet Sunday Desserts
- Butterscotch Pudding by Baking Sense
- Dark Chocolate S’mores Crack by Wild Wild Whisk
- Homemade Chunky Monkey Ice Cream by Bites of Wellness
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Box Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Simple Cocoa-Spice Cake by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.