An elegant twist on the traditional pie – Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart has luscious curd filling in a crisp crust and it’s topped with mounds of toasted meringue.
Today the #SundaySupper group is celebrating everything citrus. I’m thrilled because citrus fruits of all types are the baker’s friend. So many of my recipes would suffer without that little sprinkle of fresh lemon zest or juice.
Lemon Juice is an Essential Baking Ingredient:
I use lemon the same way I use salt, to perk up the flavors in a dish. Sure, citrus fruits play a starring role in so many great recipes. Who wouldn’t love Triple Citrus Poppy Seed Cake or luscious Meyer Lemon Shaker Pie?
But a little lemon juice can also be an important supporting player in a recipe. Lemon juice will perk up the flavor of Cream Cheese Frosting and Cheese Cake Batter. In fact, just about any recipe in which I use cream cheese I also use a little lemon. They’re natural partners. A hint of lemon juice will bring out the complex flavors in Peach Pie Filling. Blueberry Preserves are good, but Blueberry Lemon Preserves are better. I think you get the picture.
Updating a Classic:
I decided to go pretty traditional with this recipe, but with a little twist. Lemon Meringue Pie is an American classic dessert. The traditional dessert is made with a flaky pie shell, lemon filling thickened with corn starch and a mountain of sweet meringue to complement the tangy filling.
Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart is a more subtle version of the traditional dessert. A sweet cookie-type crust is filled with pink grapefruit curd. I love fruit curds because they have intense fruit flavor. Tarts are more shallow than pies, so we get a more even filling:meringue ratio with a tart. Pink grapefruit curd has a less tangy flavor than lemon curd so I didn’t want to overwhelm the flavor with 3″ of meringue.
Since the meringue is already “cooked” by adding hot sugar syrup, there is no need to bake the meringue before browning. I use a propane torch to brown the meringue. You can either put the tart under the broiler or use a torch. If you use a torch just keep it moving constantly to avoid burning the meringue.
Thanks to Lisa Grant of Jersey Girl Cooks for hosting today’s event. Check out these other sunny recipes from the #SundaySupper members:
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
You might also like: