Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread! With so many zucchini bread recipes out there I debated if I needed to send yet another out into the world.
Just like the notoriously prolific veggie, there’s no such thing as too much of a good thing, right?
For this recipe, the goal was to make a zucchini bread that is more like a quick bread and less like a cake. I wanted it to be hearty and not super sweet.
This loaf is definitely less like dessert and more like a breakfast bread. I think it’s hearty enough to be eaten along side a salad for lunch.
Why you’ll love this Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
- First and foremost, this recipe is not shy with the zucchini. There’s a full pound of zucchini in one loaf.
- The recipe calls for 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour for a hearty texture and flavor.
- There’s just enough sugar and a touch of honey for a sweet note but still not even close to tasting like a cake.
How to make Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
See the recipe card for detailed measurements and instructions.
- Use a mandoline, food proccessor or box grater to finely grate the zucchini.
- Layer the shredded zucchini between paper towels to wick away excess moisture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients the add the zucchini.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the center of the loaf springs back when lightly pressed.
Zucchini bread will keep at room temperature for 3-4 days. Leftovers can be frozen.
More Zucchini Recipes
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 16 oz zucchini (shredded)
- 3 ¾ oz all-purpose flour (¾ cup)
- 3 ¾ oz whole wheat flour (¾ cup)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 oz brown sugar (¾ cup)
- 4 oz vegetable oil ( ½ cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and butter and flour a 9"x5" loaf pan. Line the pan in one direction with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over the sides.
- Spread 16 oz zucchini (shredded) in an even layer on a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and press to absorb the liquid. Let the zucchini set while you mix the batter.
- Combine 3 ¾ oz all-purpose flour, 3 ¾ oz whole wheat flour,2 teaspoons cinnamon,½ teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add 6 oz brown sugar to the dry mixture and toss to incorporate.
- In another bowl, combine4 oz vegetable oil, 2 large eggs and 2 tablespoons honey. Add the zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan
- Bake until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 45-55 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.