Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread! With so many zucchini bread recipes out there I debated if I needed to send yet another out into the world.
I have already posted a Chocolate Orange Zucchini Bread recipe, Lemon Zucchini Bread and a Zucchini Yeast Bread recipe, not to mention recipes for Zucchini Biscuits, Zucchini Muffins and Zucchini Pie.
But, just like the notoriously prolific veggie, there’s no such thing as too much of a good thing, right?
For this recipe, the goal was to make a zucchini bread that is more like a quick bread and less like a cake. I wanted it to be hearty and not super sweet.
How to make great Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread that’s not too sweet:
- First and foremost, this recipe is not shy with the zucchini. There’s a full pound of zucchini in one loaf.
- I cut the zucchini on a mandoline to get substantial shreds of the vegetable. If you don’t have a mandoline use the large holes of a box grater or the large grating disc of a food processor.
- Drain the shredded zucchini on paper towels to take out excess moisture.
- Instead of just white flour, the recipe calls for 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour.
- The white flour gives the bread enough structure so that it’s not too dense or gummy and the whole wheat flour brings a nice rustic flavor and texture to the loaf.
- There’s just enough sugar and a touch of honey for a sweet note.
Scroll through the step by step photos to see how to make Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread:
This loaf is definitely less like dessert and more like a breakfast bread. I think it’s hearty enough to be eaten along side a salad for lunch.
So here’s another addition to the multitude of zucchini bread recipes in the world. I’m happy with the result because this loaf really showcases the vegetable.
I got another 2 pounds of zucchini in my farm share today. So I guess can always use another zucchini recipe. Hopefully you can too.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
- 4 cups (1 #, 454g) shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup (3.75 oz, 105g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (3.75 oz, 105g) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (6 oz, 168g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Spread the shredded zucchini in an even layer on a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and press to absorb the liquid. Let the zucchini set while you mix the batter.
- Combine the flours, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the brown sugar to the dry mixture and toss to incorporate.
- In another bowl, combine the oil and eggs and honey. Add the zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan
- Bake until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 45-55 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.