Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread! With so many zucchini bread recipes out there I debated if I needed to send yet another out into the world.
But, just like the notoriously prolific veggie, there’s no such thing as too much of a good thing, right?
For this recipe, the goal was to make a zucchini bread that is more like a quick bread and less like a cake. I wanted it to be hearty and not super sweet.
How to make great Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread that’s not too sweet:
- First and foremost, this recipe is not shy with the zucchini. There’s a full pound of zucchini in one loaf.
- I cut the zucchini on a mandoline to get substantial shreds of the vegetable. If you don’t have a mandoline use the large holes of a box grater or the large grating disc of a food processor.
- Drain the shredded zucchini on paper towels to take out excess moisture.
- Instead of just white flour, the recipe calls for 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour.
- The white flour gives the bread enough structure so that it’s not too dense or gummy and the whole wheat flour brings a nice rustic flavor and texture to the loaf.
- There’s just enough sugar and a touch of honey for a sweet note.
Scroll through the step by step photos to see how to make Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread:
This loaf is definitely less like dessert and more like a breakfast bread. I think it’s hearty enough to be eaten along side a salad for lunch.
So here’s another addition to the multitude of zucchini bread recipes in the world. I’m happy with the result because this loaf really showcases the vegetable.
I got another 2 pounds of zucchini in my farm share today. So I guess can always use another zucchini recipe. Hopefully you can too.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
- 4 cups (1 #, 454g) shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup (3.75 oz, 105g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (3.75 oz, 105g) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (6 oz, 168g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Spread the shredded zucchini in an even layer on a paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and press to absorb the liquid. Let the zucchini set while you mix the batter.
- Combine the flours, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the brown sugar to the dry mixture and toss to incorporate.
- In another bowl, combine the oil and eggs and honey. Add the zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan
- Bake until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 45-55 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
You might also like: