This Merveilleux recipe will remind you why you love French pastries. These decadent meringue sandwich cookies are filled with chocolate whipped cream, covered in more cream and rolled in chocolate shavings. Oh là là…
This recipe is a chocoholics dream and it is truly not hard to make. If you can whip egg whites, you can make this recipe. It does take some time since the meringues need to bake for several hours. But this is hands-off time.
I flavored my Merveilleux with lots of dark chocolate. But you use your imagination to adapt this recipe. White chocolate, milk chocolate, cinnamon, instant coffee or raspberry preserves could flavor the cream.
Chocolate shavings are a traditional decoration, but you can roll them in mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, chopped nuts, cookie crumbs or even broken bits of meringue.
The ingredients and techniques are adaptable and accessible for most home bakers. Your friends and family will say “merci beaucoup”.
Scroll through the process photos to see how to make Merveilleux:
Tips for making the best Merveilleux (meringue sandwich cookies):
- Always use fresh egg whites. If you use pasteurized egg whites from a carton make sure the package specifically says they can be used for meringue. Some markets sell pasteurized eggs still in the shell, which can also be used for this recipe.
- Make sure your mixing bowl is absolutely clean. If there’s a trace of grease or egg yolk the whites won’t whip properly.
- For the lightest meringue take your time and follow the instructions in the recipe.
- I use the same piping guide I use to make French Macarons. Using a guide helps you pipe consistently sized meringues for neater sandwiches. If you don’t have a piping bag you can clip the corner off of a sandwich bag or even just spoon the meringue onto the pan.
- The baking time for the meringues can vary based on your oven, the weather and other factors. Check the oven every 1/2 hour to hour to make sure the temperature doesn’t go over 200°F. If your oven is running hot you can prop the door open with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- The baked meringues can be stored in a tightly covered container for a couple of days. Make sure they are not in a humid environment like the refrigerator or they will soften.
- If the Merveilleux are eaten within 3-4 hours the meringue layers will still be crisp. After 3-4 hours the meringue become more marshmallow-y. They’re delish either way so you can serve them as you prefer.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Merveilleux (Meringue Sandwich cookies)
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Use a biscuit cutter or glass to draw twenty-four 2" circles on a 1/2 sheet of parchment paper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the paper with the circles underneath the parchment on the pan. This will be your piping guide.
- In a large mixer bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on medium speed (#4-5) until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, add the superfine sugar in a slow steady stream. Add the salt and vanilla. Increase the speed to medium-high (#6-7) and continue whipping until stiff peaks are formed. Total time 6-7 minutes.4 each egg whites, 6 oz superfine sugar, 1/8 teaspoon table salt, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Sift the confectioner's sugar over the meringue then use a wire whisk to fold the sugar into the meringue.2 oz confectioner's sugar
- Scoop the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (1/2"). Pipe the batter into discs that are the size of the circles you've drawn. The discs should be about 1/2-3/4" thick. If you don't have a piping bag you can clip off the corner of a sandwich bag or spoon the meringue onto the pan.
- Bake the meringues until the exterior is dry and still very pale in color, about 3-4 hours. When the meringues seem dry, use a small spatula to gently lift one. It should separate easily from the parchment paper. Turn off the oven, prop the door open a crack, and leave the meringues in the oven until they cool to room temperature.
- While the meringues are baking, place the chocolate shavings into a bowl.
- After the meringues are completely cooled, make the chocolate cream according to the instructions in the recipe. As soon as the cream is ready, scoop half the cream into a pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip.1/2 recipe Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Flip over half the meringues and pipe a generous dollop of cream onto the flat side. Sandwich with the other meringues. Use a small spatula to ice the tops and sides of a meringue and drop it into the bowl of chocolate shavings. Roll to cover completely. Set it into a cupcake paper or onto a serving platter.8 oz semi sweet chocolate shavings
- Continue with the remaining meringues. Refrigerate the Merveilleux for 1 hour to set the cream. Best eaten with 3-4 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.