Ghost Pepper Jelly is made with Ghost Peppers, or Bhut Jolokia, one of the hottest peppers on the planet. Tame the heat of these firecrackers by making a delicious hot pepper jelly.
If you love hot and spicy foods this is a recipe for you. I get lots of hot peppers in our farm share, but I’ll often plant one bush of a super-hot peppers in our home garden just for fun. This year I planted a Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia) plant.
Just how hot is a Ghost Pepper?
Ghost Peppers were the hottest pepper in the world until being dethroned in 2011. The Carolina Reaper is the currently the hottest of the hot. I’ve never tasted a Carolina Reaper, and I’m not sure I ever want to.
A Ghost Pepper clocks in at about 1,000,000 Scoville heat units. Scoville is the scale for measuring the heat in a hot pepper. As a reference point, jalapenos usually rate about 1,000-20,000 Scoville units.
Hmmm, I’ve got loads of hot peppers, what should I do with them?
To tell the truth, I was a little afraid to make a curry with the peppers, and if I used one to make a curry (and I’d be afraid to use more than one) what would I do with the others? I like hot food, but not so hot that I can’t taste the food.
So I decided to make Hot Pepper Jelly with my little harvest. I love the sweet-hot combination, and jelly is a great way to preserve the peppers to enjoy later in the year. Check out my Pickled Jalapeno Peppers and DIY Chipotle Pepper recipes for more ways to preserve hot peppers.
How to make Ghost Pepper Jelly!
- Ghost Peppers are really, really hot. I highly recommend wearing gloves, and I even wore goggles to avoid getting juice or steam in my eyes. Believe me, you don’t want to put your face over the boiling pot of jelly and breath it in, yikes!!
- I used a combination of ghost peppers and sweet bell peppers cause I’m too chicken to eat a jelly made from only ghost peppers. Use whichever ratio of sweet to hot peppers that you’re comfortable with.
- Make sure to follow the times listed in the recipe for cooking the jelly, especially once the pectin is added. If you don’t cook it right, the jelly might not set properly.
- Check out the Ball Canning website for detailed instructions on water bath canning.
- Got Habaneros but no Ghost Peppers? No problem, the type of hot pepper is interchangeable. Habanero Jelly would be just as delicious as Ghost Pepper Jelly.
Click through the step-by-step photos to see how to make and can Ghost Pepper Jelly:
My Ghost Pepper Jelly has a nice flavor and a manageable heat level. I’ve tried the jelly on cheese and crackers, on a peanut butter sandwich and we even used it as a condiment for breaded pork chops.
I think Ghost Pepper Jelly in a pretty jar, wrapped with colorful ribbon, would make a lovely holiday or hostess gift.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider giving it 5 stars.
- 4 ghost peppers (or to taste)
- 12 oz red, orange or yellow bell peppers
- 2 cups (16 oz, 480ml) cider vinegar
- 6 cups (3 pounds, 1.36 kg) granulated sugar
- 2 pouches liquid pectin
- Sterilize the jars and lids by boiling for 10 minutes or running through the "sterilize" setting on your dishwasher. Set warm sterilized jars on clean kitchen towel while preparing the jelly.
- Put on gloves! Ghost peppers are hot! Stem, seed and roughly chop all the peppers. In a food processor or blender, puree the peppers with 1 cup of the vinegar.
- Combine the puree with remaining vinegar and the sugar in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil (be careful not to breath in the steam or get it in your eyes!!!). Boil for 10 minutes, careful it can boil over. Stir in the pectin, return to a boil and boil 1 minute, keep stirring.
- Ladle the jelly into the sterilized jars, leave 1/4" head space. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, moist paper towel. Place 2 piece lids on the jars (don't over tighten the screw top). Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
See the Ball Canning Website for detailed instructions on water bath canning, sterilizing jars and other important information.
Sure Jell Certo Premium Liquid Fruit Pectin - 6 fl oz
Cuisinart DLC-2009CHBMY Prep 9 9-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless
Ball Jar Quilted Crystal Jelly (Case of 12), 8 oz
Granite Ware Canning Set, 8-Piece, Black
Ball Blue Book Guide To Preserving, 37Th Edition
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might also like: