Looking for something new to make with all those beets? How about making Chocolate Orange Beet Cake? It’s a moist chocolate cake made with pureed roasted beets, fresh orange and lots of warm spice. As if that’s not enough, it’s finished with luscious chocolate orange glaze.
October 1st is World Vegetarian Day and the whole month of October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. I can’t think of a better way to kick start it off than with fabulous vegetable-based recipes from the #SundaySupper tastemakers.
Honestly, I’d never really cooked with beets until I joined a co-op farm. With our farm share we get whatever the farmer grows that year, and every year we get lots of beets, mostly in the spring and fall. I’ve tried lots of great beet recipes over the years, but my favorite is a simple roasted beet salad with orange segments and goat cheese. That salad was the inspiration for the flavors in this Chocolate Orange Beet Cake. If beets and oranges taste so great together in a salad, they should taste great together in a cake, right? Also, chocolate and orange are fantastic flavor partners.
How is this Chocolate Beet Cake Different than others?
I’m glad you asked! Since it seemed like a natural paring to me, I was surprised not to find many beet and orange cakes out there on the inter-webs.
I adapted a chocolate beet cake recipe I got from a chef I worked for many years ago. I started by upping the beet puree a little and adding the zest and juice of an orange. Speaking of beet puree, I roasted the beets instead of boiling them, since roasting the beets is a hands-off process and it concentrates the flavors. You can roast the beets several days ahead and refrigerate them until you’re ready to make the batter. I never boil beets for any recipe, only roast em.
This is a truly fabulous cake. If you really know it’s there and look for it you can taste just a hint of beet earthiness. The beet puree makes the cake very moist and the orange and spice are the perfect complimentary flavors for both the beets and the cocoa.
If you’ve got beets in the back of the crisper drawer in your refrigerator, why not dig them out and give this Chocolate Orange Beet Cake recipe a try? If you do, let me know how you like it.
A huge “thank you” to Susan Pridmore from The Wimpy Vegetarian for hosting today’s event.
Check out all these fabulous veggie based recipes from the #SundaySupper group:
- Citrus Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.