You’ll love this chunky Sourdough Granola with pecans and maple syrup. Use your sourdough discard to make healthy and delicious granola. This recipe can be adapted with the ingredients you have on hand.
This granola is abundant with wholesome ingredients like oats, pecans and pumpkin seeds. It has just a hint of maple sweetness and it is light, crunchy and crisp.
That special texture is thanks to the sourdough discard in the recipe. The discard binds the ingredients together without weighing everything down.
Scroll through the process photos to see how to make Chunky Sourdough Granola using sourdough discard:
Tips for making Chunky Sourdough Granola:
- Use old fashioned rolled oats as the base for this recipe. Quick cooking oats will break down too easily and the granola won’t have the right texture.
- I use just a hint of brown sugar and maple because I don’t want my breakfast to be too sweet. But you can increase the sugar to a 1/2 cup if you like your granola sweeter.
- Add the craisins after the granola is baked. This prevents them from burning in the oven.
- The craisins will draw moisture from the granola to keep it crisp.
- Store the granola in an air tight container at room temperature.
I know you hate to throw away that sourdough discard. Check out these recipes that use sourdough discard.
Since you’ve got your starter fed, peruse the entire list of My Best Sourdough Recipes. Have fun!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Chunky Sourdough Granola
- 13 oz rolled oats (4 cups)
- 8 oz chopped pecans (2 cups)
- 3 oz pumpkin seeds (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz brown sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 8 oz sourdough discard (1 cup)
- 5 oz maple syrup (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 9 oz dried cranberries (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.13 oz rolled oats, 8 oz chopped pecans, 3 oz pumpkin seeds, 2 oz brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon table salt
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the sourdough discard, maple syrup, vegetable oil and vanilla. Drizzle the liquid ingredients over the oat mixture.8 oz sourdough discard, 5 oz maple syrup, 2 oz vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Toss the mixture to evenly distribute the wet ingredients and break up any dry clumps. Pour the granola into the prepared pan. Moisten your hands with water and use them to press the granola firmly into an even layer.
- Bake until the granola is dry in the middle and nicely browned around the edges, about 35 minutes.
- Set the pan on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Break the granola into large clumps and toss in the dried fruit. Keep in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.9 oz dried cranberries
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.