Heavenly Lemon Meringue Cupcakes are made with moist buttermilk cake, zesty lemon curd filling and crown of toasted meringue.
If you looove Lemon Meringue Pie, then you’ll looove these gorgeous little cupcakes.
They are easy to make and most of the components can be made ahead. Make sure to read through the helpful tips at the bottom of the page.
Scroll through the step by step photos to see how to make this recipe:
Tips & helpful hints for making Lemon Curd Cupcakes with Meringue:
- The Lemon curd can be made several days ahead and refrigerated, or up to a month ahead and frozen.
- If you want a thicker filling that won’t run when the cupcakes are cut, use the optional gelatin listed in the curd recipe.
- The cupcakes can be baked up to a day before filling and frosting and kept (covered) at room temperature.
- The Meringue frosting should be used as soon as you make it. It will set up as it sits.
- Leave the meringue untoasted for a lighter flavor.
- Use either a blow torch or your oven’s broiler to brown the meringue.
- This recipe can be baked as an 8″ cake, filled with lemon curd and iced with Seven Minute Frosting. Make sure to use the gelatin in the curd so the filling doesn’t run when you cut the cake.
- The finished cupcakes will keep in a covered container for 2-3 days.
Here are some other fabulously lemony recipes:
- Luscious Lemon Mousse Cake
- Lemon Thin Cookies
- Meyer Lemon Bars
- Triple Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Macarons
- Lemon Lavender Angel Food Cake
- Lemon Curd Shortbread Cookies
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
- 1 Recipe Lemon Curd
- 1 Recipe Seven Minute Frosting**
- **(do not make the icing until the cupcakes are ready for frosting"
For the Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups (11.25 oz, 315g) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (16 oz, 448g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz, 240 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 oz, 240 ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with 24 paper liners.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Combine the sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk, lemon extract and zest in a mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed to combine the ingredients. Continue mixing for 2-3 minutes to emulsify the ingredients. With the mixer running on low, add the dry ingredients.
- Use a scoop to divide the batter evenly between the cups. Each cup should be 2/3-3/4 full. Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed, 12-15 minutes.
- Cool completely before filling.
- Use a small serrated knife and/or a melon scooper to carve a 1" wide by 1” deep cavity in the middle of each cupcake. Fill each cavity with 1 tablespoon lemon curd.
- Make the frosting and immediately pipe or spread a generous dollop of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Use a blow torch to toast the surface of the icing or set the iced cupcakes under a broiler to brown the tops.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.