Lemon Lavender Angel Food Cake is light as a feather, not too sweet, tender and moist. Lemon zest and lavender flowers add a bright and beautiful flavor to this classic cake.
When I created my Classic Angel Food Cake recipe I did extensive testing into the absolute best way to make the cake. Visit that post to see all the details that went into perfecting the recipe.
Tips for making a great Lemon Lavender Angel Food Cake:
- Use fresh egg whites, not pasteurized. Previously frozen unpasteurized whites are fine.
- Use a clean bowl and whisk. A tiny bit of grease will collapse the egg whites.
- Start the whites on medium and increase to medium high after the sugar is added.
- Don’t add the sugar until the whites reach soft peak, then add slowly.
- Use both the lemon zest and juice for a full lemon flavor.
- Adjust the amount of lavender to your taste and based on the potency of the flowers.
- I like to use a hand whisk to fold the flour into the meringue. You can switch to a spatula once most of the flour is incorporated.
- Use a tube pan so the cake bakes from the middle and sides.
- Don’t grease the pan and don’t use a non-stick pan.
- Cool the cake upside down.
Scroll through the process photos to see how to make Lemon Lavender Angel Food cake :
I know it’s a bit of a pain to end up with a dozen yolks left over, but the yolks can be frozen. You can also use fresh frozen whites since they are not pasteurized.
Now that you’ve made this recipe what should you do with the extra yolks? Check out this collection of recipes that use extra yolks for some great ideas.
Since you appreciate the special flavor of lavender, here are some other recipes you might like:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
- finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried lavender flowers (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz, 340g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (4.5 oz,125g) cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large (14 oz, 392g) egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz, 30ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz, 30ml) water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Have an angel food or tube pan, ungreased, ready for the batter.
- Combine the lemon zest and lavender with 3/4 cup sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 10-15 seconds to grind the lavender and mix the ingredients. Add the flour and the salt and pulse 3-4x to evenly distribute the ingredients. Remove the blade and set the bowl aside.
- In a large mixer bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on medium speed (#6-7) until very frothy. Combine the lemon juice and water. With the mixer running add the liquid in a slow stream. Continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar. Increase the speed to medium-high (#7-8) and continue whipping until stiff peaks are formed. The total whipping time will be about 8-10 minutes.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture over the meringue and use a whisk to fold in the flour until it's almost incorporated. Sift and fold in the remaining flour mixture in two batches. Fold just until all the flour is incorporated. The batter will still be quite fluffy.
- Scoop the batter into the tube pan and spread to even layer. Rap the pan on the counter a couple of times to dislodge any large air bubbles. Bake until the cake is lightly browned, springs back when pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert the pan over a cooling rack. Leave the pan inverted until the cake is completely cool.
- Run a small spatula or paring knife around the sides of the cake to loosen and release the cake from the pan.
- The cake will keep, well-wrapped, at room temperature for several days.
Adjust the amount of lavender based on the potency of your lavender and your personal preference.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- OXO Good Grips Zester and Grater
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial 2-Piece Angel Food Pan
- KitchenAid 5-Qt. Stand Mixer
- KitchenAid 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
- Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack
- Organic Lavender Flowers Dried - Perfect for Tea, Baking, Lemonade, DIY Beauty, Sachets & Fresh Fragrance - 100% Raw From France - Large 4oz Resealable Bag - by Feel Good Organics