Fresh Strawberry Pie! The juicy berries are coated with the most amazing rosé wine glaze. The inside of the shell is coated with white chocolate so the crust won’t get soggy.
How to make the most incredible Fresh Strawberry Pie:
- Use a graham cracker crust. Graham cracker crust is super easy to make with just 3 ingredients. The flavor is the perfect compliment to the fresh, juicy berries.
- Line the crust with white chocolate. Fresh berries are wonderful because they’re so juicy. But those juices can cause the pie crust to become soggy. A simple (and delicious) solution is to line the crust with white chocolate. This will water-proof the crust and add a lovely flavor to the filling.
- No Jello! Packaged strawberry jello does not taste like actual strawberries. For this pie you will make your own strawberry filling using plain gelatin and real strawberries.
- No Corn Starch. I tried this recipe with corn starch as the thickener. The starch made a pasty glaze that muddied the flavor of the filling.
- Add Rosé wine for incredible flavor. You’ll often hear rosé wine described as having “berry flavors”. Well, that makes it a natural addition to a fresh strawberry pie. Remember, alcohol enhances other flavors. The wine echoes, but doesn’t overpower, the berry flavor.
- Top it with whipped cream. Because, whipped cream and berries….
Scroll through the process photos to see how to make Strawberry Pie with Rosé Wine Glaze:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups (7 oz, 196g) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 56g) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz, 84g) butter, melted
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped fine
For the Filling
- 2 pounds (896g) ripe strawberries, hulled and left whole
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120ml) rosé wine
- 1 packet (.25 oz, 7g) unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup (8 oz, 224g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz, 224g) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons (3/4 oz, 21g) confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the melted butter over the crumbs and toss to combine. Pour the crumbs into a 9" pie plate. Press the crumbs onto the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven. While it's still warm, press down to flatten puffy spots and to close any gaps in the crust. While the crust is still warm, sprinkle the chopped white chocolate into the bottom of the pie shell. Allow the chocolate to melt and then gently spread it across the bottom and sides of the pie shell. Cool until the chocolate is set.
- Place 1 1/2 pounds of the strawberries into a large mixing bowl and put the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Puree the remaining 8 oz of berries in a food processor with the wine. You should have about 1 1/ 2 cups of strawberry puree. You can add a little more wine to bring it up to 1 1/2 cups if needed.
- Put a 1/2 cup of purée into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin powder evenly over the purée and whisk briefly to combine. Set it aside to bloom.
- In a medium sauce pan combine the rest of the strawberry puree with the sugar. Cook over medium heat until the sugar melts and liquid is hot. It doesn't need to come to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the bloomed gelatin and stir until the gelatin is melted. Set the puree aside to cool until it is tepid.
- Remove the bowl of berries from the refrigerator. Pour the puree over the whole berries and toss to give them an even coating. Lift the berries out of the puree and arrange them into the pie shell. I like to start with the largest berries to cover the bottom of the shell. Then arrange the small berries on top. You can cut them into halves or quarters to nestle them between the larger berries. Pour the puree over the berries.
- Chill the pie for at least 6 hours to set the gelatin. Whip the cream with the confectioner's sugar. Pipe a border of cream around the edge of the pie. Serve the pie with the rest of the whipped cream on the side.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.