Tempura Strawberries with Chocolate Orange Dipping Sugar is like nothing you’ve ever tasted. These fried strawberries might not look so pretty, but they sure taste good.
I so excited to share my new favorite strawberry recipe, Tempura Strawberries, with you.
Admittedly, fried Strawberries are not nearly as pretty as vine-ripened strawberries in all their natural glory. Although it’s not the most beautiful dish of all-time, please don’t let that stop you from giving it a go.
Because tempura batter is so thin, the berries don’t really cook in the coating, they just warm up and become super juicy. Have you ever eaten strawberries still warm from the sun? That’s what Tempura Strawberries taste like.
Scroll through the photos to see how to make Tempura Strawberries:
By replacing some of the water with vodka you’ll form less gluten in the batter and end up with a super light and crisp tempura coating. If you don’t have vodka available, or don’t like to use alcohol, you can use all seltzer instead.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider leaving a 5-star review.
- Zest of 1/2 orange, grated
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 60g) granulated sugar
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, grated
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 cup (4 oz, 120g) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, whisked (you only need 1/2, the the rest for egg wash or another use)
- 1/2 cup vodka (see note)
- 1 quart strawberries, use a damp paper towel to wipe clean
- 1/2 cup seltzer water
Make Dipping Sugar
- Combine the sugar, orange zest and grated chocolate in a small bowl. Toss with a fork to combine
Fry the strawberries
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients. Combine the seltzer with the vodka.
- Pour the seltzer/vodka into the flour, mix until partially combined. Pour half the whisked egg into the batter and stir just until the ingredients are combined.
- When the oil reach 400°F dip a strawberries into the batter and gently lower into the oil. Fry for just a minute until the coating is crisp and lightly browned. Drain on a rack set over a sheet pan.
- Work in small batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Serve while still hot with the dipping sugar.
If you don't have vodka or don't like to use alcohol, use 1 cup of seltzer water instead of a 1/2 cup of each.
Callebaut Finest Belgian Semisweet Chocolate Blocks - Approximately 1 pound per Block - 2 Blocks
Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 7-1/4-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cerise (Cherry Red)
Taylor Digital Cooking Probe Thermometer and Timer
Vollrath (5303) Wear-Ever Half-Size Sheet Pans, Set of 2 (18-Inch x 13-Inch x 1-Inch, Aluminum)
Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pan – Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might also like:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee