Tempura Strawberries! Deep fried strawberries with a super thin batter coating. Enjoy with Chocolate Orange Dipping Sugar.
Have you ever eaten strawberries still warm from the sun? That’s what Tempura fried Strawberries taste like.
Compared to other recipes for deep fried strawberries, you find the tempura batter is very thin. The berries just need to fry for 1 minute so they don’t really cook in the coating, they just warm up and become super juicy.
- Cake Flour – Low protein cake flour does not absorb as much moisture as all purpose flour. This keeps the coating very thin.
- Vodka – By replacing some of the water with vodka you’ll form less gluten in the batter and end up with a super light and crisp tempura coating. If you don’t have vodka available, or don’t like to use alcohol, you can use all seltzer instead.
How to make Tempura Strawberries
- Assemble the ingredients for the batter.
- Make the chocolate orange dipping sugar.
- Set up a sheet pan with a cooling rack next to the oil. As the strawberries are fried, you will put them on the rack to drain.
- Hold a strawberry by the leaf on top.
- Dip the berry into the batter and let the excess drip back into the bowl.
- Gently drop the strawberry into the oil.
- Continue frying several strawberries at a time. Let them cook 1-2 minutes until crisp.
- Drain the strawberries on a cooling rack and continue frying.
They don’t. Eat them still warm from the fryer.
You can’t fry them ahead. But you can assemble the ingredients for the batter and make the dipping sugar. While the oil heats up finish mixing the tempura batter.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider leaving a 5-star review.
Tempura Strawberries Recipe
- 1 orange
- 2 oz granulated sugar (¼ cup)
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate (grated)
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 4 ½ oz cake flour (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz vodka (½ cup (see note))
- 4 oz seltzer water (½ cup)
- 1 large egg (whisked)
- 1 quart strawberries (wipe clean with damp paper towel)
Make Dipping Sugar
- Finely grate the zest from half the orange. Combine 2 oz granulated sugar with the zest and grated 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate in a small bowl. Toss with a fork to combine. Set aside.
Fry the strawberries
- Heat 2 quarts vegetable oil in a heavy pan.
- Combine 4 ½ oz cake flour, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients. Combine 4 oz vodka and 4 oz seltzer water. Pour the seltzer/vodka into the flour, mix until partially combined. Pour half the whisked egg into the batter (save the rest of the egg for another use). Stir just until the ingredients are combined.
- When the oil reaches 400 °F you're ready to fry. Lift a strawberry by the leaf and dip into the batter. Carefully lower the strawberry into the oil. Fry for just a minute until the coating is crisp and lightly browned. Drain on a rack set over a sheet pan. Fry a few strawberries at a time. Avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Serve while still hot with the dipping sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.