Simple, yet delicious Old Fashioned Chocolate Frosting. Cocoa gives this buttercream a lovely fudgy flavor. It’s the perfect filling for an old fashioned layer cake.
Much as I love my Italian Meringue Buttercream, there is also a place for this simpler, yet very tasty, chocolate buttercream frosting. This is a chocolate version of American Buttercream.
American buttercream is a mixture of butter and powdered sugar with a little milk or cream. I added a full 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to the buttercream to make a frosting with a big chocolate flavor.
There are times when I want the sophisticated flavor of a rum-soaked Chocolate Geniose filled with billowy Chocolate Mousse filling. There are other times when I want the melt-in-your-mouth flavor of a Chocolate Butter Cake filled with airy Italian Meringue Buttercream.
But there is also a time and place for an Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake with Old Fashioned Chocolate Frosting. Just as there are different types of chocolate cakes for different tastes; there are different types of frostings that seem to go well with those different cakes.
With it’s simple, straight-forward and slightly sweeter flavor, this is the perfect icing for an Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake.
This is the frosting you want to make for your kid’s birthday cake. It’s so easy to make that your kids can help you in the kitchen. That’s always a good thing, isn’t it?
Scroll through the step-by-step photos to see how to make Old Fashioned Chocolate Frosting:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please consider leaving a 5-star review.
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 125 ml) whole milk
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1/2 cup (2 oz, 55g) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 cup (8 oz, 226g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 pound (16 oz, 453g) confectioner's sugar
- Combine the milk, vanilla and salt in a microwave proof bowl. Microwave in 10 seconds increments until the milk is almost boiling. Pour the warm milk over the cocoa and whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter on medium speed until it is softened and beginning to aerate. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the sugar to the butter and mix until completely combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the cooled cocoa mix, switch to the whisk.
- Whip until light and aerated.
- Use right away. Can be stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Re-whip before using.
This recipe makes enough icing to fill & frost an 8" layer cake.
- KitchenAid KSM150PSCU Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Contour Silver
- KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
- Cacao Barry Cocoa Powder Extra Brute
- Fisher Home Products Cake Stand with Dome (8-in-1 Design) Multifunctional Serving Platter for Kitchens, Dining Rooms | Pedestal or Cover Use | Elegant Glass Durability
- Ateco 612 Revolving Cake Decorating Stand, 12" Round, Cast Iron Base with 1/8" Aluminum Top
- Ateco Professional Offset Spatula Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might also like: