Lemon Chiffon Cake is made with whipped eggs and oil. Oil makes the cake moist, and whipped eggs make it light. This recipe can be baked as a layer cake or in a tube pan.
What is Chiffon Cake?
Chiffon cake is sort-of a cross between a rich buttery cake and an airy sponge cake. It’s got the best of both worlds. This chiffon cake is flavored with lots of fresh lemon juice and zest for a bright and vibrant flavor.
When baked in an ungreased tube pan, this cake puffs up super-high and is light as a cloud. This is why I don’t recommend using a non-stick tube pan. You want the batter to grip the sides of the pan and rise high.
The cake is made with oil and lemon juice in the batter, which helps create the soft crumb in the cake.
The oil not only adds moisture to the cake but it coats the flour, which prevents gluten formation. Acidic lemon juice is also a tenderizer.
Scroll through the process photos to see how to make Lemon Chiffon Cake:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 3 1/2 oz vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- 12 oz granulated sugar (1 1/2 cups, divided)
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 6 oz lemon juice (about 5 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 10 oz cake flour (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. For a traditional chiffon cake, use an ungreased 10" tube pan (not non-stick). If you want to make a layer cake line two 9” cake pans with parchment paper or butter and flour the bottom of the pans only.
- Combine the oil, 1 cup of the sugar and egg yolks in a mixer bowl and stir to combine. Add the lemon juice, zest and extract. Mix on medium speed until well combined.3 1/2 oz vegetable oil, 6 large eggs, 12 oz granulated sugar, 6 oz lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients to yolk mixture. Whip on high speed for 1 minute, then set aside10 oz cake flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Whip the egg whites on medium speed to soft peak. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup sugar, increase the speed to medium high and whip to full peak. Fold the whites into the yolk mixture in three increments.6 large eggs, 12 oz granulated sugar
- If making a layer cake, divide the batter between the two pans. If you're using a tube pan, pour all the batter into the pan. Bake until the middle of the cake springs back with lightly pressed, 30-35 minutes for the layers or about 50-60 minutes for the tube pan.
- Cool the cake completely in the pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.