Coconut Thin Cookies are, as the name suggests, crisp, thin and lightly coconutty. This lovely little cookie is the perfect tea-time or snack-time treat.
These cookies are a variation of my wildly popular Lemon Thin Cookies. If you’re interested in the science of baking I recommend that you read through the Lemon Thin post to learn how I tweaked the ingredients to create a perfectly thin and crisp cookie.
Since I’d already done the work to perfect the original recipe, adapting it to make a coconut thin was fairly simple. I had to adjust the flavoring, switching out the lemon zest and extract for cream of coconut and vanilla.
I didn’t reduce the flour in the recipe even though I added more protein with the shredded coconut. More protein could potentially make the batter too thick. A thicker batter would not spread enough to make “thin and crisp” cookies.
Luckily, the shredded coconut contains both protein and fat. The fat in the coconut keeps the batter soft enough to spread nicely in the oven.
Scroll through the process photos to see how to make thin and crispy Coconut Cookies:
For all you coconut lovers (I’m one!) here are some more recipes for you to try: Coconut Pound Cake, Coconut Shortbread Cookies, Snow White Coconut Cake, Coconut Passionfruit Cake, Coconut Macaroons, Pina Colada Pie and German Chocolate Cake.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
- 5 oz unsweetened coconut flakes (1 cup after grinding)
- 5 oz all purpose flour (1 cup)
- 5 oz unsalted butter (room temperature, see note*)
- 6 oz confectioner's sugar (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cream of coconut (see note **)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (see note).
- Pulse the unsweetened coconut in a food processor until it becomes a rough powder. Add the all purpose flour and pulse a few times to combine. Set the flour mixture aside.5 oz unsweetened coconut flakes, 5 oz all purpose flour
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl. Add the cream of coconut and vanilla extract mix until well combined. Add the egg and mix until well combined. Scrape the bowl. Add the salt, baking soda and coconut/flour and mix until incorporated.5 oz unsalted butter, 6 oz confectioner's sugar, 1 tablespoon cream of coconut, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 large egg, 1/4 tsp table salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Use a .75 oz scoop or a tablespoon to scoop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2" between the cookies. They will spread as they bake so make sure to leave enough room.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown and the middle of the cookies are set, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Saturday 25th of June 2022
The lemon thin recipe is one of my favorites. Love serving them with fruit. Just tried this coconut version. It is all I can do not to eat a dozen of them. So good! Thank you.