Bakewell Tart is a classic British confection. The satisfying combination of almond frangipane and raspberry preserves is baked inside a crisp, buttery crust.
Quick aside, even though this recipe does bake-up quite well, the name comes from the town of Bakewell in Derbyshire.
When I worked as a baker at a British tea shop (here in the US), we literally sold Bakewell tart by the slab. I would bake the tart in a full sheet pan. The tart was cut into squares to be sold and served with afternoon tea.
As popular as those slabs of tart were, I prefer the elegant shape of the fluted tart pan. The finished tart slices up into perfectly pretty little wedges that will just make you happy.
- Unsalted butter
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Almond flour
- Almond extract
- Vanilla extract
- Raspberry preserves
- Sliced almonds
How to make Bakewell Tart:
See the recipe card for detailed instructions and measurements.
- Line the tart pan with short dough and pre-bake until lightly browned.
- Spread the jam into the crust.
- Spread the almond filling over the jam. Be careful not to mix the jam into the almond filling.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds over the filling.
- Bake until golden brown and the filling is set all the way to the center.
Pastry Chef Tips for making Bakewell Tart:
- Use a fluted tart pan with a removeable bottom for a pretty and easy-to-slice tart.
- Make the tart dough up to 3 days before and refrigerate. The dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months. When I make short dough, I make a full batch and freeze extra for future recipes.
- Roll the dough when it’s still cool from the fridge and it will be easier to handle.
- Blind bake the tart shell until the bottom of the shell is fully baked and just beginning to brown.
- I prefer to use seedless raspberry preserves.
- Spread the almond frangipane filling very carefully so you don’t end up mixing the jam into the filling.
- You can finish the tart with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a drizzle of powdered sugar glaze.
- The baked tart will keep at room temperature 4-5 days.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Bakewell Tart Recipe
- 1 recipe Tart Dough
- 4 oz unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 6 oz granulated sugar (¾ cup)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 6 oz almond flour (1 ½ cups)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz raspberry preserves (⅓ cup)
- 1 oz sliced almonds (¼ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Roll the short dough to fit a 9" or 10" fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick the dough all over with a fork and refrigerate until firm.
- Bake the tart shell until it’s lightly golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Set the crust aside to cool while you make the filling. Keep the oven on.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 4 oz unsalted butter with 6 oz granulated sugar until light and aerated. Scrape the bowl and the beater. Add 2 large eggs and mix to combine. Add 6 oz almond flour, ½ teaspoon almond extract, ½ teaspoon vanilla and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Spread 4 oz raspberry preserves into the bottom of the tart crust. Gently spread the almond filling over the preserves, trying not to mix the jam into the filling. Sprinkle 1 oz sliced almonds evenly over the filling. Bake until the filling is set, about 35 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.