This Chicken Satay Burger combines all the flavors of Chicken Satay in a yummy burger. Juicy chicken burgers topped with as-spicy-as-you-like peanut sauce and quick pickled veggies for crunch.
Whenever we have a summer party chicken satay skewers with spicy peanut sauce is on the menu–mostly because we’re all obsessed with peanut sauce, and my husband makes a pretty mean peanut sauce.
I recorded the recipe by following along and measuring the ingredients as he made a batch of his famous peanut sauce.
He usually makes it a little hotter, so feel free to amp up the chili paste or even add fresh chopped chiles if you’re a chile-head like he is.
Tips for making amazing Chicken Stay Burgers with Peanut Sauce:
- There are some specialty ingredients used in this dish, but I have given alternatives when possible. If you like Asian food I think it’s worth buying the ingredients. But the alternatives will work in the dish.
- I made the burgers using boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I ground myself using the food grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer.
- I used thighs because they’re more flavorful than chicken breasts and the higher fat content is a good thing in a burger.
- If you don’t have a food grinder or food processor available you could buy pre-ground chicken meat from the market.
- If your pre-ground meat is very lean and you want a richer burger you can add a little melted butter to the burger mix, a teaspoon or two for 2 pounds of ground meat.
- The pickled slaw was inspired by one of my favorite Indonesian dishes, atjar tjampoer. The pickled veggies add a needed crunch and freshness to the burger.
- The only thing that can make this burger even better is to put it on homemade Burger Buns or if you’ve got a Sourdough Starter make these Sourdough Burger Buns.
After I grilled and photographed the test burger we portioned it out and tasted it. Nothing but nodding heads and “mmmms” all around.
This recipe is now on regular summer rotation at our house. I hope it will be at your house as well.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I would really appreciate a 5-star review.
Chicken Satay Burgers with Peanut Sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled & minced)
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon trassi (or 2 teaspoons fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon ketjap manis (Sweet Soy Sauce (see note))
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 red bell pepper (stemmed, seeded and cut into 2″ matchsticks)
- ½ large cucumber (peeled, seeded and cut into 2″ matchsticks)
- 1 large carrot ( peeled and cut into 2" matchsticks)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
Chicken Satay Burgers
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (ground coarsely with meat grinder or pre ground meat.)
- 1 tablespoon sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 tablespoon Ketjap Manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Make the Peanut Sauce
- Heat2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a medium saucepan, Add½ medium onion (minced), 3 cloves garlic (minced) and 1 ½ inch piece of fresh ginger (minced) and saute until softened, Add 2 teaspoons sambal oelek and saute 1 minute. Add 1 teaspoon trassi and saute 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter and saute 1 minute. Add 5 tablespoons canned coconut milk, 5 tablespoons heavy cream 1 tablespoon ketjap manis and 2 teaspoons brown sugar. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Make the Pickled Vegetables
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate at least 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Make the Chicken Satay Burgers
- Combine ground chicken, 1 tablespoon sambal Oelek chili paste, 1 tablespoon Ketjap Manis, 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs and ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Form into 6 patties. Refrigerate at least 1-2 hours before grilling.
- Grill over medium-high flame until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. The burger should feel firm when pressed in the middle.
- To assemble the burgers put a dollop of peanut sauce on the top and bottom of the bun, put the burger on the bun and another dollop of peanut sauce on the burger. Top the burger with a pile of pickled veggies. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.