Today I’d like to share my recipe for Apricot & Pistachio Buns. I’m so excited to be participating in my very first #Breadbakers event. #BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. I adore fruit in any way, shape or form so I was very happy with this month’s theme of “Stone Fruit”.
Sweet, tart apricots and salty, savory pistachios complement each other very nicely. For these Apricot & Pistachio Buns I highlight those flavors with a little cinnamon, ginger and one of my favorite spices, cardamom.
In the photos you can see the unusual technique I use for rolling the dough and forming the buns. I spent some time thinking about how to incorporate the nuts and fruit into the dough because I wanted to keep the apricots and pistachios somewhat separate. I thought the flavors would get muddled if I just mixed it all together. At first I considered mixing the apricots into the dough and then using the pistachios as a filling. But I was worried that the flavor of the apricots would get lost in the rich dough. Since the theme for today’s #Breadbakers event is “stone fruit” I wanted to be sure the apricots were front and center in the finished product.
So I decided to use both the fruit and nuts as filling, but layered them so that each flavor could stand out. It also happens that using this technique makes for a very striking pattern when a bun is cut to reveal the layers. Using apricot preserves in the glaze adds another layer of apricot flavor and the preserves give the glaze a beautiful color.
I baked the Apricot & Pistachio Buns in jumbo muffin tins, but you can line them up on a buttered or parchment lined sheet pan. If you use regular sized muffin tins you probably want to cut the buns a little smaller, maybe getting 14-16 buns instead of 12.
Thanks to Mireille at The Schizo Chef for hosting this event. #BreadBakers – Stone Fruit
- Apricot and Cherry Focaccia by Herbivore Cucina
- Apricot & Pistachio Buns by Baking Sense
- Apricot & Stilton Soda Bread by Baking in Pyjamas
- Apricot Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apricot Cranberry Walnut Quick Bread by Spill the Spices
- Apricot Kolaches by Food Lust People Love
- Apricot Oat Casserole Bread with Sweet Vanilla Glaze by A Salad For All Seasons
- Big Batch Bran Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Brown Sugar and Plum Pull-Apart Bread by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cherry Bread with Streusel Topping by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Ricotta Muffins by Sneha’s Recipe
- Cinnamon Swirl Peach Bread by Kylee Cooks
- Dried Apricot Bread with Walnuts by The Bread She Bakes
- Eggless Mango Cardamom Walnut Quick Bread by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Eggless Mini Mango Bread by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Mango and Passionfruit Yeast Bread by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Mango Challah by Passion Kneaded
- Mango Jam Rolls with Cremé, Fresh Mangoes and Jam Filling by G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Mango Pull Apart Bread by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Nectarine-Blueberry Muffins by A Baker’s House
- Peach & Nutmeg Sweet Focaccia by The Schizo Chef
- Peach Yogurt Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Plum & Pecan Bread by I Camp in my Kitchen
- Scones with Apricot, Ginger and Brie by Palatable Pastime
- Semolina Bread with Apricots and Sage by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Peach Oatmeal Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Whole Wheat Nectarine Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Wholewheat Sweet Rolls with Mango Filling by Cook’s Hideout