These hearty Bran Muffins are made with healthy ingredients like whole grain flour, wheat bran, honey, raisins and apple. They are a tasty and wholesome treat made without refined sugar.
What is the muffin mixing method?
A “muffin” is a specific baked good, but it’s also the name of a mixing technique. To make a batter using the “muffin method” combine your dry ingredients in one bowl, combine your wet ingredients in another bowl, then combine the two. It’s one of the easiest baking techniques there is.
This recipe comes together in just a few minutes.
- Whole wheat flour – Forms the structure of the muffin and adds healthy fiber and vitamins.
- Wheat bran – Adds flavor, texture and lots of insoluble fiber to the muffins.
- Baking powder/soda – For leavening.
- Salt – For flavor.
- Raisins – Add a sweet note, fiber and a nice textural contrast. You can add chopped nuts with or instead of the raisins. Craisins or any other dried fruit can replace the raisins.
- Milk – For moisture. Almond or oat milk can be used to make vegan muffins.
- Honey – There is no refined sugar in this recipe. Agave or maple syrup can be used to make vegan muffins.
- Vegetable oil – Adds richness and moisture. Coconut oil or another oil can be used.
- Eggs – Help form the structure of the muffin. You can use egg replacer to make vegan muffins.
- Apple – A grated apple adds flavor, moisture, fiber and texture to the muffin.
How to make Bran Muffins
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss in the raisins.
- Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl and add the grated apple.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until combined.
- Use a scooper or large spoon to fill the muffin pans. The recipe makes 12 regular or 6 jumbo muffins.
- Bake the muffins until they spring back when pressed in the center.
How to store Bran Muffins
Bran muffins will keep in a covered container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Can I freeze Bran Muffins?
Yes. Pack the muffins into a gallon freezer bag or a freezer container. Defrost at room temperature. You can warm the muffins in a low oven before serving.
Want more muffin recipes? Bacon & Egg Muffins, Blueberry Cornbread Muffins, Sourdough Blueberry Muffins, Sunflower Muffins, Zucchini Muffins, Squash & Poppyseed Muffins, Cranberry Orange Muffins, Lemon Blueberry Muffins.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Bran Muffin Recipe
- 7 ½ ounces whole wheat flour (1 ½ cups)
- 2 ounces wheat bran (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 5 ounces raisins ( 1 cup, optional)
- 8 ounces whole milk (1 cup)
- 6 ounces honey (½ cup)
- 1 ¾ ounces vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large apple (1 cup, grated)
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or butter and flour the pan. (see note)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Toss in the raisins.7 ½ ounces whole wheat flour, 2 ounces wheat bran, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon table salt, 5 ounces raisins, ½ teaspoon baking soda
- In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, honey, oil and eggs. Grate the apple with the large side of a grater and add the grated apple to the milk mixture.8 ounces whole milk, 6 ounces honey, 1 ¾ ounces vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 1 large apple
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Scoop the batter into the muffin pan. Bake until the center of a muffin springs back when lightly pressed, about 15 minutes for standard size muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.