Warm Apple Cinnamon Galette with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is dessert perfection. So simple to make – wrap flaky pie dough around fresh cinnamon-sugar apples, then bake, and you’re done.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; put some fruit into a pastry crust, bake it up until it’s golden brown and delicious, et voilà, my idea of the perfect dessert.
How to make a great Apple Cinnamon Galette:
Pies and tarts of all sorts are my favorite, but I have a special place in my heart for the simple galette, or free-form tart. When I make a galette it’s always with seasonal fruit, minimal sugar and a great crust.
One of my all-time favorites is my Plum Galette with a walnut crust. The juicy plums pair perfectly with the nutty crust. My Pear-Ginger Galette is very similar to this Apple Cinnamon Galette. You can also go savory with a Zucchini Galette in whole wheat crust.
As you can see, the possibilities are endless. Simply swap in whichever fruit is seasonal and use a spice that highlights that fruit.
You can bake this galette on a parchment lined baking sheet or if you have a baking stone pre-heat it and bake the galette directly on the stone (I would put some parchment under it in case it leaks a little.
Click through the process photos to see how to put together an Apple Galette:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
- 1/2 Recipe Perfect Pie Crust
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2# (about 5 medium) apples, peeled, cored, halved and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 56g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg for egg-wash
- Granulated or Demerara sugar for finish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- If using a baking stone place it in the oven to preheat at least an hour before baking.
- Roll the dough to a 16" round, about 1/4" thick. Transfer the dough a parchment lined sheet pan or wooden peel (see note). Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the bottom, leaving a 1" border around the edges.
- Arrange the apples over the bread crumbs. Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon then sprinkle over the apples. Fold the 1" border of dough over the apples.
- Brush the border with egg wash then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake directly on the baking stone or on the sheet pan until the apples are tender and the crust is well browned. Enjoy warm or room temperature.
If you have a baking stone you can bake the galette directly on the stone. Build the galette on the parchment and slide it onto the stone using a peel or the back of a sheet pan. Otherwise bake it on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.