Warm Apple Cinnamon Galette with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is dessert perfection. So simple to make – wrap flaky pie dough around fresh cinnamon-sugar apples, then bake, and you’re done.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; put some fruit into a pastry crust, bake it up until it’s golden brown and delicious, et voilà, my idea of the perfect dessert.
How to make a great Apple Cinnamon Galette:
Pies and tarts of all sorts are my favorite, but I have a special place in my heart for the simple galette, or free-form tart. When I make a galette it’s always with seasonal fruit, minimal sugar and a great crust.
One of my all-time favorites is my Plum Galette with a walnut crust. The juicy plums pair perfectly with the nutty crust. My Pear-Ginger Galette is very similar to this Apple Cinnamon Galette. You can also go savory with a Zucchini Galette in whole wheat crust.
As you can see, the possibilities are endless. Simply swap in whichever fruit is seasonal and use a spice that highlights that fruit.
You can bake this galette on a parchment lined baking sheet or if you have a baking stone pre-heat it and bake the galette directly on the stone (I would put some parchment under it in case it leaks a little.
Click through the process photos to see how to put together an Apple Galette:
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Apple Cinnamon Galette
- ½ Recipe Perfect Pie Crust
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 pounds apples (peeled, cored, sliced ¼" thick)
- 2 oz granulated sugar (¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg ( for egg-wash)
- Granulated sugar for finish
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- If using a baking stone place it in the oven to preheat at least an hour before baking.
- Roll the dough to a 16" round, about ¼" thick. Transfer the dough to a parchment lined sheet pan or wooden peel (see note). Sprinkle ¼ cup dry bread crumbs over the bottom, leaving a 2" border around the edges.
- Arrange 2 pounds apples (sliced) over the bread crumbs, again leaving a 2" border. Combine the 2 oz granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon then sprinkle over the apples. Fold the border of dough over the edges of the apples.
- Brush the border with egg wash then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake directly on the baking stone or on the sheet pan until the apples are tender and the crust is well browned. Enjoy warm or room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.