Why grill an entire meal outdoors then go back into the hot kitchen to make dessert? Grilled Dessert Pizza is a light and tasty ending to a fabulous dinner made over an open fire.
If you’ve never grilled pizza it will be a revelation of flavor. The smoky, lightly charred crust is completely addictive.
I love the flavor and crispy crust that I get from the charcoal, but you could make the same recipe in the oven or on the gas grill if you don’t have a charcoal grill.
I usually make savory pizza, but I decided to do a Grilled Dessert Pizza for a change.
I didn’t want something overly rich or sweet so rather than going with toppings like chocolate or marshmallows (which would be delicious, by the way-something to think about for a future post) I opted for fresh fruit and a light Greek yogurt drizzle.
I’ve created a set of detailed instructions and photos explaining how to shape pizza dough for the best texture.
It took me many years and many burnt fingers to work out my system for how to grill pizza over charcoal. I’ve got it down pat by now and am happy to pass on my hard-earned knowledge to you.
I’m really happy with the results of this recipe. The crust is crisp and smoky, the fruit is lightly sweet and juicy and the Greek yogurt drizzle adds a creamy finish. It’s the prefect light ending to your summer meal.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, I’d really appreciate a 5-star review.
Honey Lime Butter
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lime, grated zest and juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Honey Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into 1/2" chunks
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- mint leaves, chopped if they are very big
- Make the pizza dough according to the recipe.
- To make the honey Lime butter combine all the ingredients. To make the Honey Lime Yogurt Sauce combine all the ingredients and refrigerate until the pizza is ready.
- Combine the chopped strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar and allow to macerate for at least 30 minutes
- You can grill the pizza dough or bake the pizza in the oven. Start the pizza without any toppings.
- Grill or bake the pizza until the top of the dough is baked but still pale before adding the toppings.
- Brush the the crust liberally with the Honey Lime Butter. Sprinkle the chopped strawberries evenly over the dough, leave excess juice in the bowl. Sprinkle the raspberries and mint leaves over the strawberries. Drizzle a little more of the Honey Lime butter over the toppings.
- Remove the pizza from the grill or oven with a wooden pizza peel once the bottom is browned and the toppings are warm.
- Serve the pizza drizzled with Honey Lime Yogurt Sauce