Love cinnamony, spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate? Then try this super easy, super tasty, Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake.
Before I say anything else I have to ask, “Tequila-spiked cinnamon whipped cream, where have you been all my life?”. Seriously, I was so focused on the flavors in this cake and just threw together the whipped cream as an accompaniment. But, boy oh boy, that cream is soooooo delish! But I digress…
Today the #SundaySupper tastemakers are offering our favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes. I’ve made a cake version of my 2nd favorite Mexican drink (obviously, a Margarita is my first favorite). I love the subtle heat and cinnamon flavors in a good Mexican chocolate. So I’ve taken those same flavors and baked them into a Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake.
I used Mexican cinnamon in the batter, which is also called “Ceylon” or “True” cinnamon. Mexican cinnamon has a light, slightly citrusy flavor. It is a bit different than cassia, which is the cinnamon you find in most US groceries. No worries if you only have regular cinnamon, go ahead and substitute.
For the “hot” part of the cake I used my homemade chipotle powder. I like chipotle because of the smoky flavor, but use any hot pepper that you like or leave it out if you’re not into the heat.
Finally, I enhanced the flavor of the cake with a little hit of tequila. In my world tequila is never a bad thing, but, I swear, it really is there to help the flavor of the cake. You can read all about how alcohol improves flavors in this post. It’s true, it’s science! (If you don’t do alcohol you can leave it out!)
What’s so great about this cake (besides the tequila-spiked cinnamon whipped cream…sorry I can’t help it!). As I was saying, what’s so great about this cake is how easy it is to put together. It’s basically a brownie recipe with ground almonds and whipped eggs.
Click through the slider to see how-to make Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake:
I like to enjoy this cake slightly warm with ice cream or with tequila-spiked cinnamon whipped cream (sigh). A drizzle of cajeta wouldn’t be out of place in this dessert either. Oh, and hey, because there is no flour is this cake, it’s gluten free!
You might also like:
Thanks to Shelby from Grumpy’s Honeybunch for hosting today’s #SundaySupper event. Check out these other fantástico Cinco de Mayo Recipes from the #SundaySupper group:
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.