Just when you thought homemade soft pretzels couldn’t get any better, they do! Sourdough Soft Pretzels have a wonderful flavor and chewy bite.
Today the members of the #BreadBakers group are sharing our favorite pretzel recipes.
I’ve made soft pretzels several times over the last year or so and didn’t really plan on posting another pretzel recipe just yet. But I recently made some terrific Sourdough Soft Pretzels which I baked in a 185 year old wood-fired oven and wanted to share it with you.
Don’t worry, you don’t need a wood-fired oven to make these pretzels!
You can read more about my adventures in wood-oven baking here. For a baking-geek like me these days are always so much fun.
Every time I’m invited for a baking day I bring a loaf of sourdough bread to bake and I also take the opportunity to test a few new recipes in the oven. I’ve baked Pear Upside Down Gingerbread Cake, Sourdough Rye Crispbread and Apple Cinnamon Galette in the oven, with varying degrees of success.
Because soft pretzels like to bake at a fairly hot temperature, I decided to try them in the wood-fired oven.
My sourdough starter has been wonderfully active lately and I’ve been making all sorts of new recipes that go well beyond a loaf of bread, including Sourdough Donuts & Sourdough Focaccia. So I thought, why not use the starter to make the pretzel dough?
This is a 2 day recipe because I don’t use any commercial yeast in the dough, just the starter. But the vast majority of the time is hands-off.
I like to start the dough in the afternoon/evening of day 1 and then roll the pretzels the next morning. Because it is a soft dough, it’s easiest to roll while it’s still cold.
Watch the video in my Sourdough Focaccia post to see how to turn the dough on the first day. It’s exactly the same process with the pretzel dough.
If you work on this schedule you’ll have fresh hot pretzels by early afternoon. The baked pretzels freeze really well. Just pop them in the oven to re-warm before eating.
So here you go, my favorite new pretzel recipe!
Watch the recipe video to see how to make Sourdough Soft Pretzels.
You might also like:
Thanks for Stacy from Food Lust People Love for hosting today’s event. Here are some more great pretzel recipes from my fellow BreadBakers:
- Authentic German Pretzels from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Ballpark Pretzels from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Beer Pretzels from Passion Kneaded
- Buttery Pretzels from Ambrosia
- Cheddar Garlic Soft Pretzels from Palatable Pastime
- Cheese Jalapeño Stuffed Pretzel Rolls from Herbivore Cucina
- Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites from Cook’s Hideout
- Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzels from Hostess At Heart
- Double Soda Pretzels from Food Lust People Love
- German Pretzel Rolls from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Honey Mustard Snack Pretzels from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pretzel Dogs from Sneha’s Recipe
- Pretzel Sticks from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Saffron Pretzel Rolls from The Schizo Chef
- Soft Whole Wheat Pretzels from What Smells So Good?
- Sourdough Soft Pretzels from Baking Sense
- Whole Wheat Pretzel Bites from I camp in my kitchen
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.