Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Walnut Streusal is what you want for brunch this Autumn. This lovely cake is made with moist honey-pumpkin cake layered with walnut streusel and topped with walnut streusel crumbs.
Today the #SundaySupper group is celebrating everyone’s favorite harbinger of fall, the great pumpkin.
Since baking is my thing, I automatically began considering all the baked deliciousness that can be made with pumpkin. I recently posted a recipe for a super tasty Honey Pumpkin Bread that was made by special request of a reader.
For some reason the idea of a pumpkin coffee cake came to mind. I mean, what’s not to love about coffee cake? Moist cake layered with spiced walnut streusal and topped with the perfect crumb topping. This cake is brunch heaven.
The basis for this recipe was my Banana Coffee Cake recipe. I needed to make a few changes to transform that cake into a pumpkin version.
First, obviously, I switched out the banana for pumpkin. Easy peasy. I could have left it there, but I wanted to include some honey because I was crazy about the flavor of my Honey Pumpkin Bread. So I replaced some of the sugar with honey. I also added more spice to the mix to highlight the autumn flavors. A little lemon extract was also added to enhance the pumpkin flavor.
The first go round of the cake was ok, but there was an unpleasant, gummy, layer at the bottom of the cake. Back to the drawing board.
I think the problem was that, with the honey and the pumpkin, there was a little too much moisture in the cake. So I switched the cake flour in the original recipe to all purpose flour. Not only does all purpose flour add more structure to the cake, it also absorbs more moisture.
When I cut the second cake it looked like the gummy layer was still there. But when we tasted the cake we realized that, although the streuesel baked into the bottom layer, it wasn’t gummy anymore. My husband actually quite liked that extra sweet layer at the bottom of the cake.
Watch this video to see how to make a Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Walnut Streusel:
You might also like:
Simple Pumpkin Recipes #SundaySupper
Meals, Sides, and Snacks
- Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Pumpkin Chia Pudding by Cricket’s Confections
- Chocolate Pumpkin Pastry Twists by Caroline’s Cooking
- Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Miso Broth with Roast Pumpkin and Noodles by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Walnut Streusel by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Kugel by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Monkey Bread Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pumpkin Mug Muffin by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Shrub by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Rolls by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Roasted Pumpkin Apple Bacon Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Savory Pumpkin with Red Onion Garlic and Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- No Bake Paleo Pumpkin Bites by Bites of Wellness
- Pumpkin Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Pumpkin Hand Pies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pumpkin Pot Au Creme by Cooking On The Ranch
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.