Have you ever baked with sunflower flour? Me neither until I created Sunflower Crumb Muffins. I use ground sunflower seeds as a flour in the batter and whole sunflower seeds for a crunchy crumb topping.
Today the #BreadBakers group is celebrating Mother’s Day our way. We’re making breads inspired by Mother’s Day or May Flowers. I’ve combined the two parts of this theme by making muffins using sunflower seeds. These flower-inspired muffins would be the perfect treat for a Mother’s Day Brunch. The batter is made in a single bowl without using a mixer. They’re so easy to make that the kids can make them for mom’s breakfast in bed.
I personally don’t like muffins that are too cake-like. Since I generally think of muffins as breakfast food, I like them to be a little heartier and healthier. Of course blueberries are super healthy and super delicious in muffins, so adding them was a no-brainer.
The “flower” inspiration for this muffin was easy. Sunflower seeds are great source of protein, fiber, B vitamins, vitamin E and minerals. The seeds are high in fat content, but the healthy type of fat. The high protein and fat in the ground seeds make them perfect for baking muffins. The sunflower flour adds a nice nutty flavor and great texture to the muffins.
I dressed these muffins up with a crumb topping to make them a special Mother’s day breakfast/brunch treat. If you wanted to reduce the sugar in the muffins for everyday eating, simply eliminate the crumb topping and sprinkle sunflower seeds on the muffins before baking. The seeds will add a crunch to the topping without the extra sugar and butter.
Click through the slider to see how to make Sunflower Crumb Muffins:
Thanks to Julie at Hostess At Heart for hosting. Here’s what our creative bakers came up with.
- Almond Rose Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apricot Sweet Rolls by Cook’s Hideout
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Flower Cake by Sneha’s Recipe
- Beetroot Cinnamon Rolls by Herbivore Cucina
- Blueberry Muffin Cups with Warm Lemon Sauce by A Salad For All Seasons
- Cherry Almond Kugelhopf by Hostess At Heart
- Cheesy Pizza Roses by Food Lust People Love
- Flower Bread with Savoury Onion Filling by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Orange Marmalade Rolls by Ambrosia
- Peynirli Cicek Pogaca/ Turkish Cheese Flower Bread by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Pogaca -Turkish Breakfast Bread by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Pumpkin Lavender Coconut Biscuits by The Schizo Chef
- Sfoof by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sunflower Crumb Muffins by Baking Sense
You might also like: