Herbed Goat Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks do take a little bit of work, but the payoff is worth it. Garlic and herb bread dough stuffed with garlic and herb goat cheese has to be good!
Admittedly, this is a bit of a fussy recipe. The only way to get the cheese into the breadsticks is to roll the dough into a flat rectangle, pipe the cheese onto the dough, then roll the dough up to form the stick shape.
I tried a couple of different techniques for getting the filling into the dough, and different ways of rolling the dough. Despite my best efforts some of the filling always leaks out of the breadsticks in the oven. Even so, the breadsticks still have a nice cheesy flavor.
This is a great recipe to make if you’re having guests for dinner. I would serve these Herbed Goat Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks either as a snack with before-dinner drinks or put them into the breadbasket for the dinner table.
To work ahead you can assemble the breadsticks, lay them out on parchment lined sheet pans and pop the pans into the freezer. Once the sticks are frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.
When you’re ready to bake the breadsticks, lay them out on parchment lined sheet pans and allow them to defrost while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in the recipe.
Watch the recipe video to see how-to make Herbed Goat Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks:
- 1 1/4 cups (10 oz, 300 ml) warm water
- 1 packet (2 14/ tsp, 7g) dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Minced fresh herbs of your choice (I used 1/4 cup of basil and chives) if you use a strong herb like rosemary, use less.
- About 3 cups (14 oz, 360g) all purpose flour
Goat Cheese & Herb Filling
- 12 oz (340g) soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced basil & 1 tablespoon minced chives (or herbs of your choice, amount should be adjusted by how strong the herb is)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (1 oz, 28g) grated Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- 1/3 cup (3 oz, 90 ml) heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large egg White
- Olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Dough (see note 1)
- Combine the water, yeast and 1 1/2 cups of flour in a mixer bowl. Mix to form a thick batter. Add the salt, olive oil, garlic and herbs. Switch to the dough hook.
- Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough comes together and clears the sides of the bowl. Knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and finish kneading until the dough forms a smooth ball. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and flip once to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Make the Goat Cheese Filling
- Mix together the goat cheese, herbs, garlic, Parmesan, pepper and heavy cream until well combined. Add the egg yolk and mix to combine. Spoon the filling into a piping bag with a plain tip about 1/2" wide.
Make the bread sticks
- Preheat the oven to 375°F convection or 400°F regular. Line a 1/2 sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead briefly. Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough to a 3" x 12" rectangle. Brush the around the edges of the dough with egg white. Pipe a 1/2" line of goat cheese filling along a long side of the rectangle, leaving a 1/2" at either end. Starting at the edge with the filling, roll like a jellyroll to encase the filling in the dough. Pinch the ends and seam closed. Roll back and forth a few times to neaten up the shape.
- Set on parchment lined sheet pan, seam side down. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Bake at until puffed and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. (see note 2)
#1: I have given instructions for mixing the dough in a stand mixer. The dough can be mixed by hand. Use a wooden spoon to mix it's too thick to handle with a spoon. Finish kneading in the flour by hand.
#2: Some of the filling will leak out while baking, but you will still taste the cheese in the baked breadsticks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 327mg Carbohydrates: 22g Protein: 9g
You might also like: