August is the perfect time for us #Breadbakers to play with peppers-all sorts of peppers; sweet, hot, pickled, black, it’s all good. I love hot peppers so I created a recipe for Jalapeno Sourdough Corn Bread.
I love to bake hot peppers into bread. The starch in the bread tames the chili heat just enough to let the flavor of the particular pepper come through. This bread would also be delicious made with habanero, or any other hot or sweet pepper. I just happened to have a bunch of jalapenos in the refrigerator from our farm share so that what I used.
The flavors in this bread are just natural together. Peppers and corn are both in season, and everything is better with cheese, right? I added the cumin seeds because, well, because I just love them.
This is not a light and airy loaf of bread. Adding cornmeal and onion puree to the dough makes a hearty loaf. This is not a “cornbread” so much as a sourdough bread with corn added two ways, cornmeal and fresh corn.
You can eat this bread without any condiments at all. With the corn, cheese and jalapeno filling, it’s a snack all by itself. I ate a slice of Jalapeno Sourdough Corn Bread with a beautiful summer tomato salad and it was a perfectly satisfying summer meal.
You might also like:
Thanks so much Sue Slusser Lau of Palatable Pastime for hosting today’s event. Check out these other Peppery and delicious bread recipes:
- Bellpeppers and Cheese Scones by Basic N Delicious
- Bellpepper and Paneer Stuffed Lattice Bread by Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Bell Pepper Stuffed Whole Wheat Buns by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Capsicum Onion Pizza with Wholegrain Base by Ambrosia
- Cheddar and Jalapeño Scones by Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese Stuffed Peppadew Stuffed Buns by Food Lust People Love
- Crushed Red Pepper Grissini by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Fatayer Jebneh by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Green Chile and Cheddar Biscuits by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hatch Chile Zucchini Bread by Magnolia Days
- Jalapeño Bread by Cook’s Hideout
- Jalapeño Flour Tortillas by Hostess At Heart
- Jalapeño Sourdough Corn Bread by Baking Sense
- Msemen Maamer – Moroccan Flatbread Stuffed with Peppers by The Bread She Bakes
- Parmesan Cracked Pepper Beer Bread by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pepper Pav Buns by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Roasted Red Pepper Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Roasted Red Pepper Fougasse by Spiceroots
- Spicy Herb Monkey Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Whole Wheat Spicy Rolls by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Vegetable Stuffed Braided Bread by My Cooking Journey
- Zucchini and Pepper Cornbread by Palatable Pastime
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.