It’s the height of summer in my neck of the woods, and that means it’s the height of corn season. Today for #SundaySupper we’re celebrating scrumptious summer corn. Sweet Corn Ice Cream turns everyone’s favorite summer corn into a delicious dessert.
Nothing says summer like an ear of fresh sweet corn with butter and salt. Sometimes we get a windfall of corn in our farm share, which is wonderful because corn is one of those vegetables that I just can’t get too much of. Once we’ve had our fill of simple buttered and salted corn, I’ll make corn chowder, or corn pancakes or corn salad, or cut the kernels off the cob and freeze them to use later in the year.
I love using fresh sweet corn in desserts too. This ice cream is a favorite of mine. I like desserts that bridge the gap between savory and sweet, and Sweet Corn Ice Cream has just a hint of savory from the fresh corn and plenty of sweet too.
At first I planned to make this ice cream with basil for #SundaySupper because I love corn and basil together. I liked the flavor of the basil in the ice cream, but the basil flavor was front and center and the corn flavor moved into the background.
Since the theme for today is corn, I didn’t want to overwhelm the corn flavor in the ice cream. So I’ve presented the recipe as Sweet Corn Ice Cream. If you want to add the basil flavor you can steep basil leaves in the custard along with the corn cobs. Then remove them with the cobs and finish the recipe.
You might also like:
A big thank you to Ellen Folkman from Family Around the Table for hosting today’s event.
Check out this corn-ucopia (sorry!) of recipes from the #SundaySupper tribe:
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.