Juicy chicken burgers topped with as-spicy-as-you-like peanut sauce and quick pickled veggies for crunch. This Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce combines all the flavors of Chicken Satay in a yummy burger.
Today for #SundaySupper we’re celebrating summer with Hamburgers and Hot Dogs. Check out the links at the end of this post for some unbelievably creative recipes that go way beyond frozen patties.
I came up with a new burger recipe that combines the flavors of one of my favorite Asian dishes, Chicken Satay. Whenever we have a summer party chicken satay skewers with spicy peanut sauce is on the menu–mostly because we’re all obsessed with peanut sauce, and my husband makes a pretty mean peanut sauce. I recorded the recipe by following along and measuring the ingredients as he made a batch of his famous peanut sauce. He usually makes it a little hotter, so feel free to amp up the chili paste or even add fresh chopped chiles if you’re a chile-head like he is.
There are some specialty ingredients used in this dish, but I have given alternatives when possible. If you like Asian food I think it’s worth buying the ingredients. You’ll find a million ways to use them. But the alternatives will work in the dish.
I made the burgers using boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I ground myself using the food grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. I used thighs because they’re more flavorful than chicken breasts and the higher fat content is a good thing in a burger. If you don’t have a food grinder or food processor available you could buy pre-ground chicken meat from the market. In my market I noticed that the pre-ground chicken has less fat than the chicken thighs. If you find the pre-ground meat is very lean and you want a richer burger you can add a little melted butter to the burger mix, a teaspoon or two for 2 pounds of ground meat.
The pickled slaw was inspired by one of my favorite Indonesian dishes, atjar tjampoer. The pickled veggies add a needed crunch and freshness to the burger.
After I grilled and photographed the test burger we portioned it out and tasted it. Nothing but nodding heads and “mmmms” all around. This recipe is definitely going into regular summer rotation at our house. I hope it does at your house as well.
You might also like:
A big “thank you” to Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting today’s #SundaySupper event. Here are some more fabulous burger and dog recipes by my fellow #SundaySupper tastemakers:
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.